U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Ron Hedman

When it comes to flying in one of these lemons? As the Great Buddy Holly wrote, That'll be the day, that I die. Unfortunately as we know, he died in a plane crash.

• Hawkman100

I flew American Airlines a couple of weeks ago from Dallas to Vancouver. The safety folder in the seatback said it was a 737-800 Max. Of that I am positive, because I was very surprised to see that safety folder with that plane named on it.

What's going on here?

• Willard

AA should drop the MAX, get their money back.

• AlpaByrd

Oh, goody! Where do I book a flight? (Note to self: Buy accident insurance, lots and lots of.)

• bobhope01

Note to self. Make certain not to fly Amerismash.

• Curvingthunder

Good luck!

• c0reDump

May
    Crash
    Any
    Second

MCAS

• u8ntserious

You're all a bunch of scaredy cats. I bet you all drive cars that have defaulty airbags, anti-collision control, bad brakes and more...yet you still drive. Why? The Max is a safe a/c...

• rsinj

The reporting here is at best misleading and at worst just incorrect.

American does not decide when they will fly the plane, the FAA makes that call. What American did, as Southwest has been doing, is that they removed the plane from flight scheduling until a later date - it's been done numerous times by both airlines. This is simply pushing it further out. What it means is that the plane will not be in the fleet for the busy period between Thanksgiving and New Years and will continue to hurt profitability.

• RedSoxPatriotsCelticsBruinsFan

If the plane can fly without mcas Ill be all right with it otherwise no dice.

• Dosadi

They may need to offer an option allowing paying passengers to opt out of this particular type of plane.
    People are going to be naturally skeptical.

• Karen Carpenter

So AA is gambling that enough time has passed that the morons have forgotten about the dangers of the plane OR they're going to rename it so the morons won't know the difference. Good plan, AA. I see yet another bankruptcy in your future.

• Will Postthetruth

"Since the grounding of the Boeing MAX aircraft in March, U.S. commercial
    carriers have said they have gone to great lengths to minimize the
    impact on their passengers, pulling MAX flights from their schedules."
    HUH? In other words, since they've been ordered to ground them, they've gone to great lengths ti ground them!

• Mr Wayne

Safety first, until it interferes with profit.

• Oscar Zeta Acosta

Yet another reason I'll be avoiding American Airlines when possible. I already had concerns over their contract issues with their mechanics.

• My two cents

I refuse to be a guinea pig or 'test dummy' for Boeing. I will certainly check if the flight I'm choosing is a Max8 before I book.

• The Observer

Will Boeing have to supply some Biden dirt before they get the FAA sign off ?

• pfon71361

Boeing avarice and profit-driven focus led to the tragic deaths of hundreds in two separate 737 MAX crashes overseas. A simple software upgrade, which the planemaker did not want to provide without additional charge, and corresponding pilot training could have prevented these disasters from occurring. The FAA must assert its full authority, after allowing Boeing to self-regulate in this matter, and assure all future passengers that this aircraft is completely safe. 30,000 feet altitude is a bad place to find out your plane isn't airworthy.

• Lavendar62

So I guess those people with a death wish will be the first ones to pay to fly in those airplanes.

• Prophet With Honor

Delighted to fly on any of them with just two conditions:
    '- the trips are free
    - I get two first class seats to myself.

• Hank

These airplanes are more fuel efficient and Democrats are all about being green so Democrats have to fly on them!

• GoodCynic

The two airlines that had the problem, were cut rate sleezy operations. They did not do adequate pilot training, and maintenance was shoddy at best. There was a lot of pilot error involved in the crashes. Why were there no AA or SWA planes falling out of the sky? They have pilots that know how to "Fly the Plane". Boeing does not get a pass, but there were a lot of other factors involved.

• guidinglight

Good luck to American when they make that decision. I won't be flying on any of those planes, so Delta it is....

• Prozacboi

I can't wait, said no flyer ever.

• mik8888

Soooo, their 'fix' for the sytem is only software upgrades...even though the cause of both crashes were a single faulty sensor, AND the physical MCAS system itself...if the FAA certifies this poor approach to making the MCAS system reliable, without a lot of redundancy added to it, there will be more 'accidents'...

• chazman100

Yeah, flying WAS the safest form of travel. I'll not take those chances if it comes to ANY 737 in the itinerary. Not even near enough can be done with the ones that went down and to compound that in short order. These planes need to stay down and removed completely from the carriers.

• Silverbird

Came here to see all the “boycott American Airlines” posts. I wasn’t disappointed.

• Jane.Doug

sorry charlie I am NOT getting on one - matter of fact I am considering boycotting ALL 737's after reading about the fuselage cracking

• kcmoedoe

We all have to die sometime. A plane crash isn't the worst way to go. Your family will get millions in compensation and they won't have to spend thousands on a casket since your remains will fit in a coffee can. As a bonus you will probably get a memorial at the crash site.
    Across the entire landscape, we are becoming more and more dependent on software to keep us safe. Not just airplanes, but cars, subways, trains and every other form of conveyance operate safely only because of the codes engineers build into their systems. As scary as that sounds, I still feel safer knowing those billions of lines of code are responsible for my safety rather than the random actions of some guy off the street. I won't think twice if a MAX is the plane on my travel itinerary.

• wotsa

This plane is what happens when corporations value profits over safety. Fundamentally flawed corner-cutting. Should be scrapped.

• Brian

If I booked a flight and they put me on a max, I will cancel. NO WAY. Extensive testing and I mean EXTENSIVE needs to be done before I'll even consider flying on those things.

• DontBotherMe

I'll bet AA's insurance just tripled.

• OneBitTwoBit

I will NEVER EVER board one of these flying coffins. They should dismantle them.

• DontBotherMe

Nope.

• WatchItAll

That'll be a hard no from me to smashing into the ground at 500 miles per hour.

• Baa

I will resume not flying American Airlines in January.

• Fatesrider
    Federal regulators have not yet set a date for certification flights, but in an interview with ABC News last month, the head of the FAA, Stephen Dickson, said that no U.S. commercial carrier will fly the Boeing 737 MAX until he is "completely assured" that it is safe to do so.

Dickson is a former Delta Airline executive, so his allegiance is more toward the airlines than the passengers. Granted, having your aircraft plow into the ground is counterproductive for an airline company, and Boeing. But when it comes to how this aircraft was certified in the first place, the FAA basically rubber-stamped it because they lack the funding to do much more, and the airlines were just dandy with that arrangement (to be fair, this arrangement has been going on a long time).

It was Boeing basically "self-certifying" the aircraft, and not telling the FAA about the changes in the MCAS system (at least not to the degree in which they were made, since the major change was going from two AOA sensors to ONE, with the two being a "safety feature option" that had once been standard) which led to the lack of FAA oversight which probably would have prevented the crashes. Boeing was so hot to get their new 737's out there before AirBus got their new one in the same class, they rushed the safety certifications, and didn't provide enough guidance for learning the new system.

Keep in mind that every pilot has to be certified on new aircraft, even if it's only a minor model (say from a 737-600 to a 737-800) number change. As is exemplified, the changes can be radical. But the 737 line was created to be as similar as possible in flight characteristics to reduce certification time, and no one told anyone about the alterations in the MCAS. The MCAS is what keeps the flight characteristics similar for the pilot - turn it OFF and those flight characteristics are radically different (because the entire shape/profile/weight distribution/etc of the aircraft is different from the original 737's upon which the flight characteristics are based).

It's a pretty stupid way to run an airline company, IMHO. The pilots should certify on flying the aircraft with the MCAS off.

There are other major screw-ups involved in this whole thing, and Boeing has yet to face the consequences for it's very bad decisions. They literally put profits ahead of safety, falsely believing the system was "good enough" and without adequate oversight from the agency that's supposed to make sure it's actually safe in the first place. There's a lot of blame to go around, but Boeing bears the brunt of it.