U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• GbreadMan

It's not just the gig economy; it just became so overt during the past few years that the issue needed to be addressed. Over the past 20 years contractors have been perverted into 'pseudo-employees', with no minimum wages, health protections, paid holidays, or limited hours per week. These 'small businesses' are also responsible for all tax liabilities, including paying both halves of the social security tax (known as the SE tax). Many contractees even demand blatant employee requirements including what hours to arrive onsite and how to dress ( "no company emblems on clothing other than ours", "you will represent yourself as an employee of our company", etc.). If you complain to the government with an SS-8 then you're never offered work again.

Like Michael Cohen said during Congressional testimony, these "Trump contractees" also talk in a "code", saying "it would be really nice if you ran this work order for us." If you don't run enough work orders, you're kicked off the platform. Uber just became thee most brazen of the gigs with this strategy.

• sam

Drivers in some locations are already gaming the job by manipulating price in relationship to demand. The consumer ends up overpaying for rides. Would employers condone this?

• Richard Archer

The issue is easily resolved with the following rule: If you work solely for one company, you're an employee. If you have a business license and perform non-recurring work, you're an independent contractor.

• Richard Archer

CA wants more taxes from paychecks.

• BluntNotPC

"The bill would make those companies classify their workers as employees instead." That means at 30 hours (CA law) one is considered a FTE and thus gets employee benefits such as health and vacation benefits, access to retirement/401k plans. Also after 8 hours they start getting overtime pay at 1.5 times hourly rates on a given day or beyond a 40 hour work week...

• cephalo

We have a very strange welfare system in this country where employers are expected to basically take care of all of the basic needs of their employees. If the government did that instead, employers would be free to focus on profit. Andrew Yang's freedom dividend can go a long way in preventing the exploitation of labor while also making hiring workers less of a major commitment. We are doing this wrong.

• Troyal

I utilize Uber/Lyft maybe 10 times a year but find that it is cheaper and typically better service. Looks like politicians want to drive us back to taxis. Nice.

• thetickedoff shihtzu

Uber and Lyft drivers are not employees. They have the freedom to actually work for both companies at the same time.

• Hawkman100

Glad to see there are politicians out there who still have a backbone. Uber and Lyft are not part of the so-called gig economy, they are part of the exploitation economy. They take people who really need the money and pay them next to nothing, when they could really afford to pay them more.

For a recent example, at the same time as California Uber drivers were undertaking rotating strikes for better pay, one of the head executives of Uber bought a $72 million mansion in San Francisco.

• KlintzDisqus

So, a body guard (independent contractor) must now be considered an employee. That ought to go well for celebrities since they’ll have to pay for the injuries the body guards sustain (paid healthcare).

• BassPlyr73 Again

If only these independent contractors had free will. Then laws like this would be unnecessary.

• disqus_8R28ZmEsno

Looks like the gov't is trying to help out yellow taxi, once again

• oakgrovehobbitt

The assumption that these drivers are idiots is appalling. The are adults, let them decide life decisions for themselves.

• Jeff Miller

Capitalism works by someone down the line working for free, or close to it.

• Jeff Miller

In the US, employers provide health-insurance and other benefits, so this should help the employees.

• Dovah

Anything that weakens the ability of companies to abuse workers is fine by me.

• Technophile Returns

There is no reason why these companies can’t set up flex hour workers as employees. Healthcare and short/long term disability can be a buy in where the workers have to pay every month but get the advantage of being part of a group policy and PTO can be accumulated based on hours worked like everyone else.
    The reason why these companies don’t want to make them employees is because they will be responsible for their actions and if they get hurt on the job.

• raoul

I wonder if newspapers will now have to consider their paper delivery people as employees?

Of course "contractors" are employees. California got it right on this one.

• Mike H

It was fun while it lasted. Once the government gets involved, in almost anything, it goes right down the tubes.

• ROBOTIX JONES

There's little point in working for these companies if you can't make a decent wage while doing it. These corporations want you to work for as little as possible.

Besides, these ride hailing services are not going to reach their full potential without self driving vehicles. Having to pay drivers is what's holding them back.

• Ted Mittelstaedt

GOOD. I am an independent consultant who owns my own business. My bill rate is 3 figures an hour. I am a REAL "independent contractor" These poor people who drive for Uber are exploited and making less than minimum wage. It's an insult to me to call them "independent contractors"