U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• DJBREIT

I can see non of you bothered to think before you post.
    What if he had went to sleep dinner or read a book and had the heart attach. Should the company not pay in that case. This is not as if he went sky-diving and died.

• Peter J

I would imagine employer sponsored business trips will significantly decrease after this, stifling the economy to some extent.

• Tertulliano

For this ruling to make sense in America, paying for sex should be legal, to begin with.

• Blue Wave

And I thought our legal system was screwed up.

• Bru Romn

Sad...but...almost ...like a daily shower or a meal...not quite, and i’m Italian DNA !

• Thomas

Laws in other countries can seem strange to us.

• Robert Eric Oberlies

He was ordered by his employer to be there. Eating, bathing, sleeping, sex are all everyday expected parts of “being”.

• adamrussell

Just ask yourself this: Would they be responsible for his death payment if he died during business travel at dinner after work? This is no different.

• mh

Garbage Decision.

• Mike H

It's odd but I guess it has some credibility. Depends on how much money changed hands. If it's millions then NO, no way. If it's just basic costs and wage related then yes, it's fine.

• Timulculin

It's unclear to me if this is an insurance case or something else. I mean if it's just about insurance which covers the whole business trip, then yeah they should pay up. Even on a business trip you are never spending the whole time on company businesses. It's no different from having a heart attack while in your hotel room watching TV.

On the other hand if his family sued the company for some payout above and beyond what any insurance covered because they held to company at fault, that's a different story.

• UnmeritedGrace

Not usually a fan of corporations over people, but I think the company's analysis of the situation sounds more reasonable.

• Band, On the Run

At least he died doing what he loved.

• biome

Sometimes laws have unintended consequences. They shouldn't just be slapped together and pushed through the legislature.

• Technophile Returns

and you wonder why the unemployment rate in france is over 8%

• rampantlion

"May I live as long as I want to…and want to as long as I live."

• Oh Really Now

I’d say he reached the climax of his career....

• owl905

'Joie de vivre' strikes again. The tech snuck out, polished his flute, had a heart attack, and survived long enough to make it back to his room. The Court decided to stiff the firm's Insurance Company for a $2300 tab because he was found dead in his room, after the in flagrente. They got it right. Everybody got it, right?

• Uraq Lowique

The French are stupid.

• travis Dejesus

That's it! I am telling my company I need to go on more business trips, maybe to France.

• 311king

The perfect Mr. Bean episode

• Darla Fort

The French really don't like capitalism and big bad horrible employers.

• Chakan2

It's France...they still care about their people I guess. That would never fly in the US.

• Rubber Banned

The guy is literally screwing off at work and his estate is rewarded for it. Sometimes French culture is incomprehensible to me.

• bannedagain101

We need laws like this in America, if nothing else it would get rid of most of our politicians almost overnight. Well the Democrats anyway, Republicans are far to prudent to get caught dead with their pants down.

s/

• sakibaba

So who collects wife or the mistress?

• sixstrings

The worker's health insurance fund (Cpam), a party in the case, particularly stressed the fact that sexual intercourse "relates to acts of everyday life like to take a shower or a meal."

i know the French have a reputation for getting it on but as common as showering or eating...holy cannoli!

• adamrussell

Of course if you are traveling on business the company insurance covers you 24/7. Kind of sleazy for the insurance company to try to weasel out of it.

Go out to eat - covered.
    Go to a movie - still covered.
    Have sex - if nothing in policy excepting it then still covered.

• Quiet participant

How ridiculous.

• BluntNotPC

Can the woman now sue the company for emotional distress and sexual trauma?

• JR2020

If he was traveling on official company business, the company should be on the hook the entire time, regardless of what he was doing.

• FierceAngels

Ah, man, there's a great French movie in there, A comedy, for sure, though of course it wasn't funny for the lady, the frenchman or the employer.

• THEFred

Anyone have her number?

• End of Life Ritual

Seriously though, the mind boggles at the pure lack of any logic or reasonable person standard.

• River of Life

If the employer ordered him to do it, then I could see grounds for this. Otherwise, no.

• disqus_8R28ZmEsno

lol... france

• StillStrong

I guess I missed the part where there are actual damages.

• End of Life Ritual

"sexual intercourse "relates to acts of everyday life like to take a shower or a meal.""

I like the way they think.

• JuPMod

Wow. So an employer is responsible for the employee's death, despite his death is not related to anything about his work? I really can not see the connection, given he was having sex on his own. It's not like the company said, "Go have sex with a woman! That's an order!"