U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• John Springer

I do not think government employees should be able to bring politics to the workplace environment. Anyway, the headline asserts the major impetus was so they could critique Trump, seems in the body that is not the only or perhaps even motivating factor.

• Roger Young

The "Hatch Act" has been a place a very long time, to try to keep Federal Service from being politicized and beholden to whichever party is in power. Federal Employees already have the right to express their political opinions on their own time, and using their own resources. They can vote, contribute to political campaigns and do all sorts of things. But they can't campaign for candidates, seek political donations, etc., especially at work, use Government resources for electioneering, etc.

This discussion seems to be about allowing Federal Employees to criticize President Trump, if they wish to do so, on Government time and using Government resources. But I can also tell you, as a recently retired Federal Supervisor, that not so long ago a LOT of Government employees wanted to use those same resources to publicly criticize and attack President Obama. It was nice to have the "Hatch Act" in place to tell them, "Stop that".

• pksk531

Federal employees cannot strike. They cannot campaign. They cannot electioneer. They cannot have campaign material in their office. Every year they go through training that says this. Except for those working in the White House, who ignore these obvious training sessions and do everything all other employees would be reprimanded for, suspended for, or fired for doing. I worked for the Federal Government for over 30 years and have NEVER seen anything as corrupt and blatant as this administration. Federal Employees are civil servants. They want to do what is best for this country. They try to serve the country every day. This administration is making a mockery of service and country. And many are retiring or quitting because of this administration. I did and know many others.

• Thomas

No, people working for the federal government need to be held to a standard. What they do in their off duty time is their business, but once it comes to the workplace or involves their position, it crosses a line in my opinion.

• TexasVulcan

There was never a need before to allow federal workers to "criticize" their own government. Whether it was Obama or Bush Jr, while many questioned their policies and ideas, no one doubted their love of country and that they were both doing what they thought was best for all Americans.

VOTE 2020. Your country depends on it.

• Smedley

Didn't Trump have an FBI agent removed from the Mueller investigation because he sent an anti-Trump text message? I can see the can of worms this is going to open.

• Bud Simpson

It's amazing that the administration of the biggest liar to ever occupy the Whitehouse wants to stop freedom of speech for federal employees.

It's compounded when you factor in that Trump can't keep his big fat mouth shut and daily regales the world with his endless propaganda.

• Sal Monela

'Deep state'...........what buffoonery.

• Groingo

Free Speech for All....not some!

• Funk Marc

May I save ONCE For the LAST TIME. There is no Deep State, There is No Fake News, There is NO Brains in the Presidents Head.He is a Illiterate, He is a Bully, He is a RACIST, He lacks ANY Compassion, and HE is Ruining our COUNTRY and our DEMOCRATIC way of LIFE.

Signed
    A Lifelong REPUBLICAN.

FREE SPEECH FOR ALL
    ILLEGAL OR LEGAL HUMAN BEINGS

• SarcasTex

At my place of employment, we rarely if ever speak about politics since it is such a sensitive topic. We can if we want but, being able to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

• myopinionpal

How about giving the military the right to criticize their commander in chief.

• Bree Zee

They shouldn't be allowed to politic at work but at home, and in a separate capacity from the "federal" identity, they should be allowed to be citizens of the US.

• KlintzDisqus

It’s okay for Conservatives to be fired for talking politics at non-government jobs. So sayeth the social justice warriors.

But somehow, requiring ALL government workers to not talk politics on the job is w-r-o-n-g?

• Lavendar62

I used to work for the USDA and we knew that while on duty we could not be political, i.e, carry on political activities. Outside of work, we could as long as we do not use our position in the Federal government as a talking point. For example, I could not say at a political rally that I work for the USDA and we are for or against Trump. Being retired, I can now say that I am a retired USDA employee and I am against Trump.

For purposes of the Hatch Act, the term "federal employee" means any individual, other than the President and the Vice President, employed or holding office in one of the following: 1) "an Executive agency other than the Government Accountability Office"; or, 2) "a position within the competitive service which is not in an Executive agency." 5 U.S. Code § 7322. Additionally, under the Hatch Act, the term "federal employee" does not include "a member of the uniformed services or an individual employed or holding office in the government of the District of Columbia. "​​

• Alex Ross

If you don't like lying, corrupt, bully, name-calling Trump, you're an un-American DEEP STATE person?

THAT is how they think.
    Put them back under their rocks in 2021.

• bloggette

Just because you work for the federal government that should not limit your right to free speech. On the other hand, you should probably be ready to face the consequences of doing so. You can be sure that there will be retaliation, but you also have rights to protect you from that. The choice should be up to you.

• JuPMod

Hmmmm.... I thought the rule was put up to not create a bias and possible hostile atmosphere, not only between Fed workers but also between Fed workers and the public they serve. It would not be a good idea for a Fed worker to display a "I hate Trump!" button to a customer who supports Trump and vice-versa. Federal workers work for the *entire* country regardless of political status.

• TexWho

The people working against the administration of president Trump are the people of the United States of America.

• pipe

Under the implied contract exception, an employer may not fire an employee when an implied contract is formed between an employer and employee, even though no express, written instrument regarding the employment relationship exists. Proving the terms of an implied contract is often difficult, and the burden of proof is on the fired employee. Implied employment contracts are most often found when an employer's personnel policies or handbooks indicate that an employee will not be fired except for good cause or specify a process for firing. If the employer fires the employee in violation of an implied employment contract, the employer may be found liable for breach of contract. If the contract states you can not talk politics and you signed it....you are fired.

• mollydtt

When my father worked for the federal govt, we had strict orders to not discuss politics, no bumper stickers, no yard signs. If a neighbor trash talked any political candidate, we just smiled and changed the subject.