U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Cap_Curmudgeon

They aren't going to track down A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y!!!! If crooked clergymen aren't tracked down for tax evasion, you people in Georgia have nothing to worry about.

• ReviewTheFacts

Humans are opportunists, most of them.

I was in a parking lot, walking from the store to my car. I saw a lady in the driver's seat about to start her car and pull out. Her purse was sitting on the ground next to the passenger side door. I knocked on her window, which startled her, held up her purse and pointed to it. "You forgot something!"

I guess a lot of you would have waited until she pulled out, and rifled through her purse for money or credit cards.

Word of advice, DON'T! DON'T EVER!

In the case of the armored car in the story , they have the license plate numbers and video of you and they will find you. You may end up being charged and in jail!

• The Kamina

Someone's incredibly fired.

• GeeWhiz

Even with the video, how do you know how much an individual in a given car picked up?

• Rocky_Mountain_High

I have been waiting my whole life for an armored car to drop bags of money on the road in front of me and now they want me to return the money?

• Jeff Wainright

Darn ... I should have been on 285 yesterday ... or maybe not. Traffic on 285 is a nightmare on a good day.

• PhePhe

Seems like an inside job to me!!! How does the door just fly open, and why is the money loose and not in a money bag.. That was a cover up for the guards to take a portion of the money. They know that all of the money will not be returned! It will be on the police to prove how much money was taken.

• M.G.✌🏽

HMMM! I dunno! I got these bills and....

• BigDukeSix

Several people have already returned money to the police. One person returned $500, another over $2,000. However I could see people not returning ALL the money they took. How would the police know?

• telleroftruth

You can bet all these cars with identifiable license plates will be getting a call soon.

• hold-the-phone

Dammed cameras. No gettin' away with nothin' these days, yo... /s

• Chipnputt

What surprises me is none of these thieves were run over while collecting their 'free" money.

• Cody Coonts

I think it is a interesting point, this seems to happen a lot. A little too much. So if so, why? How do you profit as a company off of this? Well if the money is insured, then you claim very few of the total amount was returned by the citizens that was, in turn insurance pays out the amount and you pocket the 25-100k returned to you.

• RedSoxPatriotsCelticsBruinsFan

I would just call it karma and be picking up money with the rest of them.

• Sunshine1229

My thoughts and prayers go out to the now unemployed armored car driver that failed to secure and double check the rear door of the truck.

• Feltois Young

It's an empty threat. The armored car company has insurance and the cops aren't going to waste time and resources going after people. They have no way of knowing how much cash each person took. For the people who have their license plates on video, I would take $200 to the police station and then keep whatever else they have. How can they prove you didn't bring back the full amount?

• Moderate Party

Had these people not stopped and picked up the money, the state, town or county would have had to pay to have the area cleaned up. In my state, that would have easily cost $10,000 as most of the state workers actually work for about 2 minutes out of every hour.

Who pays for that? The same taxpayers who stopped and picked up the money.

• j penske

OK, so say someone picked up $2000 from the road, then went to the police to "return" the money. They could very easily just return $1000 and say that's all they picked up. There's absolutely no proof that they have the other $1000. No, it's not honest, and it is theft, but it'll probably happen. Although isn't there a law in many places that you turn the money over to police, and if it's not legitimately claimed within a certain time, then you get to keep it ?

• Mr. Logical

In Japan, everyone would stop and collect the money, then neatly stack it up and track down the armored vehicle company for a complete restoration of its losses.

• Julies001

First of all, so money in a armored truck is not secured once inside the truck??? And how does a door fly open???
    And I quote:Bubba's Armored Truck Company

• The Terminator

I get a kick out of some of the posts.

Insurance will cover it. Implying it's all right to take it.

• LJ

There were cars on the side of the freeway the next day, with people wandering the adjacent wooded area looking for bills that were missed. I won't be surprised if they are back today.

• Cathy

Yes they have video and they might even be able to identify people picking up the money - but how can they tell how much money each person picked up? And what exactly is it they would charge people with if they have to come find them? If someone picks up "trash" discarded by cars on the highway, can they be charged? And yes, I understand that it is reasonable to think people know this was an accident and not "trash", but does the law actually make a distinction?

Having said that, I would probably return the money - not because of the threat of being charged but because it is the right thing to do.

• Thomas

I would probably enjoy having that money for an hour or so. Might even take some selfies. :)

But in the end, I would return it to the rightful owners.

• c0reDump

Bubba's Armored Truck Company

• Disqus1451

I understand it’s hard not pick up free money off the ground, but pulling over to pick money spilled from an armored vehicle? Just a bad idea. If they really do have video and tag numbers, I think it is likely they will use it.

• JuPMod

In this case, if they have video, all they have to do is track down the people and show them the video. They'll give the money back. The NJ case, it looks like they did not have video of everyone, thus they likely did not get all the money back.

• The Terminator

"Video shows dozens of drivers pulling over to the side of the road..."

That line should read as, 'Video shows dozens of thieves pulling over to the side of the road...'

I understand the impulse to do it. But, at some point you have to stop and think, "This is somebody else's money."

Glad some came to their senses.

--

When I was in my 20's I worked at a store. I went out side for a moment. I saw a wallet lying on the pavement.

I picked it up and looked inside. Well over a thousand bucks.

I went to the office and went though the wallet looking for ID. I looked up his phone number and called him.

This part he bummed me out.

Had to be in his 80's.

He comes to the counter and says, "Somebody called about my wallet." I go to the office and get it. I hand it to him.

He opens the money compartment looks in (didn't count) closes the wallet puts it in his back pocket. Turns around and leaves.

Never said another word other than, "Somebody called about my wallet."

I wasn't looking for a reward. I would have turned that down. What I was looking for was, "Thank you". He just turned around and left.

--edited--

Corrected spelling error.

• coool_1_2

Abandoned Property... Lol