U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Chris Gee

Some black bears are also intimidated by house cats. I have seen several videos of 10-12lb house cats running a black bear up a tree or out of a yard.

• rampantlion

Several years ago, I found our bird feeder ripped apart, and the Shepard's hook it was hanging from was bent to about a 45 degree angle. I inspected the Shepard's hook further and was surprised to see the metal was, indeed, bent by the force/weight of whatever had done the damage, and not just pushed to that angle in the ground. I thought of 3 possibilities: 1) kids; 2) a black bear; and 3) a buck. I dismissed the first possibility, as we have fencing on 3 sides of our lot--the back side is is open to a wooded area containing poison ivy and poison oak. Since the feeder was the only thing damaged, I didn't think kids would do that. That leaves a bear or a buck. We live in a western suburb of the Twin Cities, and deer often transit the wooded area in back of us. They are almost always does but, on two occasions, I have seen a buck. I thought a buck might have tried to get at the feeder and, perhaps, got his antlers caught in the Shepard's hook...and freaked out. A black bear would be highly unusual, but certainly not impossible. A couple of days later, I noticed tree damage to a couple of my neighbor's spruce trees--high enough that it appears something tried to climb them and was too heavy. Since deer don't climb trees, I figured it had to be a bear. I reported it to Animal Control and they just laughed. Had to be a raccoon or two, he said. Well, a large raccoon would be about 20 pounds, so I knew that couldn't be the answer. I told him that, if it was a raccoon, I certainly never wanted to come in contact with it. I'm still convinced it was a bear.

• rampantlion

Good dog, Riley! Steak for you, tonight...

• Joe_2020

Awe, the bear was just hungry.

• Lee Thompson

Dogs can be fearless. Dogs don't recognize size difference. That doesn't look like 'play' to me. The dog was defending what he thinks is his territory.
    In bear areas, hang bird feeders high enough to be out of reach - a pulley and rope or chain work very well for raising and lowering.

• Thomas

It is not the size of the dog in the fight
    it is the size of the fight in the dog.

Dogs is the bestest

I am happy it did not get injured.

• The Terminator

My guess,

If the bear felt it didn't have an escape route. The dog would have been toast.

A dog is no match with a bear.

Guessing both the bear and the dog saw it as play time.

• P'Thizikil

The dog and bear may be friends and play like this every day.