U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• PianoUniverse

How can a professional pilot not be instrument rated?

• Boxingwithangels

"Soon, he was traveling west into the no-fly zone, instead of south as he
    had planned, because he had become disoriented, the officials said."

Can someone tell me why helicopters don't have: a GPS, radar....even my car tells me what direction I'm going in. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but basically he had to land on a roof - it was HIS best chance at survival.

• Lifeishortgetaladder.

a hero doesn't contemplate the weather and then ( knowing you're not qual'd for IFR) take off get lost , and because you find yourself illegally over Manhattan, hit the top of a bldg, and crash.
    Luck was on his side, and the people in the streets below.
    No more, no less.

• miners moss

He was not certified to fly in weather in which he couldn't visually navigate, and he made the choice to fly into skies that were so thick with clouds and rain that he became disoriented and began flying erratically. It sounds like he didn't read the conditions correctly and it all began closing in on him very fast. Just sad all the way around.

• gatorback

While the family has every right to said position, it would seem that from the numerous postings below contesting the term "hero", that the ABC headline is questionable. I do not think that the ABC headline has done the family or the pilot a favor... Sensational (questionable opinions) only play into the extermist narrative that news outlets are biased and attention seeking for self-serving purposes. Especially when the facts are yet to be determined. Shouldn't we wait for the NTSB report, while the family grieves?

• kritikosman

Not certified to fly in poor weather and in a no fly zone tho.

• zorkamundo

If the reports that he didn't hold a current instrument rating are correct, why did the company allow him to fly - presumably under FAA Part 135 rules - in those conditions? I suppose that will be another avenue of investigation for the NTSB. I wouldn't be surprised to see their certificate get suspended.

• Ben Walton

RIP, Tim

• Good Buddy

Re: " he radioed back to the heliport to say he was in trouble because of the weather and lack of visibility,...."

Yesterday...CNBC and some others were saying he radioed about engine or mechanical problems. Now, and I think this is the correct report, he couldn't see due to the weather. Meanwhile, he lacked the required instrument certification to fly AND was in an unauthorized area.

Bottom line: This certainly looks like pilot error all the way.

However, I suppose there was some heroic effort to keep the plane away from people on the street. But, still, he gets the blame for the crash. So far.

• Michael Blaesing

The whole story is not reported here. The FAA stated he was not authorized to fly a huey in those weather conditions due to his pilot license restrictions. He was not qualified or licensed to fly in those weather conditions using instrumental readings that he had not been trained to do. He broke the law and killed himself in the process. Stupid, no hero!

• empty

I don't know the number ... but I imagine there are regular hot shot flights occuring on a daily basis in Manhattan everyday and the fact that this does not occur more frequently is a testament to FAA maintenance standards and pilot competency. i support the family narrative until further findings otherwise.

• Good Buddy

"Slain pilot" fits with my tin foil hat theory the chopper was shot down for being in restricted air space. Just a theory.

• dancer92136

The headline is odd. The "slain pilot?"
    I am sorry for his family's loss.

• Robert Eric Oberlies

The headline’s use of the term “slain” confused me for second. I’m accustomed to it being used in the context of homicide.

• tet1953

The link from the home page says, "Slain helicopter pilot". As far as I know this was not a murder.

• Weazerdogg

And its starting to come out that the "hero" shouldn't have even been flying. Sad that in this day and age, even the family of a nobody knows to get out in front of the inevitable bad press ...

• empirewacksback

I’m not sure he was a hero. Crash land on a helipad or choose another option that has you falling 50 stories? Not much a choice.

• Jeff

He was flying to Linden NJ which is SW of where he took off from ... but he crashed 1 mile North from the 34th Street TSS Heliport, after flying for 11 minutes??? He must have had mechanical problems, so we can't assume he intentionally flew over Manhattan without clearance. The pilot was most likely problem solving for 11 minutes, and could NOT control the direction he was flying in. It's a little too soon to be assuming any negative intentions of this pilot .. al we know is that he crashed without injuring ANYONE else ...so why not assume he was a hero until we hear otherwise???

• Good Buddy

Restricted air space? Was he shot down with some secret high tech electronic countermeasure (ECM)

• Ryan

People throw the term "hero" around a little too cavalierly these days. Unless there's unknown facts to show he had a heroic reason to be flying there in the first place, he's just about the opposite of hero.

• M.G.✌🏽

Violating the law. Causing a panic.
    Yep he's a true hero.

• Joe_2020

So he wasn't supposed to be where he was. Hmmm, weird.

• Prophet With Honor

It sounds (from various sources) like he was bending the rules and paid a very heavy price.

• David Caverlee

I'm very sorry he lost his life but he had no business flying a helicopter over NYC especially in those weather conditions.