U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• J. Fred

Spoiled brat kills his Mother.

• jc11

The amount of ignorance among these comments is appalling. None of you know Tom and you have not the slightest idea of his character. He is one of the most caring, upstanding, and motivated people I know. He loved his mother more than anybody in the world, and this tragedy has absolutely devastated him. Keep your disgusting, uninformed comments to yourselves because none of you know Tom, nor do you know the loving relationship he had with his mother.

• j a

So, did they live together or in separate homes? He was only 21, so guessing he still lived at home. I could see, maybe, hitting her once by mistake, but after that doubtful he didn't know who he was beating.

Just looked up a well written article, and they lived together and he beat her multiple times. I don't buy it was a mistake.

• Chuck_Heston

So is he or isn't he responsible? The article says both.

• Robert Popov

If she broke into his house, that was wrong.

If she had permission to enter his home, then his response doesn't make much sense, but, in any event, that's what trials are for...hopefully some questions will be asked, that certainly were not asked by the reporter today.

• Mikhail

He must not have been that drunk with that kind of quick reflex self defense action.

• Rodney Barnburn

Now c’mon! Give him a break. I think we’ve all had a couple of brewskis and come home and hit someone several times with a baseball bat before realizing it was mom. Geez! /s

• Dukedaddy

Remember. Innocent until proven guilty! ....Like that ever happens.

• Dukedaddy

This is a new twist to an old problem. How many parents have shot and kill their child when they thought the child was an intruder, when the child was sneaking into the house in the middle of the night.

• 2 Tango - SP Augie

While reading down, I saw the "because he was drunk" line and that pretty much answered all of my questions.

• justanewsreader

How much life insurance did she have with the son as the beneficiary? Just saying...

• Comixfan1123

So much for gun control.

• Renate

I'm curious if his mother lived with him or not.

• Sunshine1229

Unless the first blow knocked her out, i'm sure she screamed for him to stop.

• Randy

Ok he got arrested and has a bail amount, but they are not charging him ? why was he arrested then

• foldincaulfield

Hmm - I've been under the influence of alcohol many times; never felt like killing my mother - or anyone else.

• james jones

Summerwill should submit to a polygraph to verify his account.

• allison kirkpatrick

Thank God he didn't use a gun!

• 01denese

The smirk is a dead giveaway.

• Kim35

This means one can simply get drunk and kill someone and not face any repercussions?

I thought being under the influence was no excuse.

• gs12

Sounds like if you need to off someone, go to Kane County Illinois. Do we need to say "they are coming right for us" first? Can we also shoot them while they are in the bathroom (and not have to be drunk)?

• wakeup234

Prosecutors, however, said Summerwill was not responsible for his actions due to the fact that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the beating, according to the Office of the Kane County State's Attorney.

Really ? So make sure you get drunk before killing someone ?

• unusual

Even if it had been a stranger, he should still be charged with murder.

• The_Splurge

That smirk in his mug shot says it all.