HOUSTON — Jan 12, 2019, 3:14 PM ET

Houston police chief nabs driver for going 140 mph

#

Houston's police chief says he set a new personal record when he issued a ticket to someone who blew past him going 140 mph (225 kph).

Chief Art Acevedo told the Houston Chronicle the Dodge Viper "almost took my doors off" as Acevedo was driving on a highway Friday. He sped after the Viper in his police SUV, topping out around 120 mph (193 kph).

The speed limit was 65 mph (105 kph).

Acevedo said on Twitter that he could have arrested the driver, but because of the "totality of the circumstances, including flow of traffic, etc.," decided to just write him a ticket. The fine is $304.

Acevedo says his previous personal record for a high-speed ticket was 130 mph (209 kph) in a 55 mph (89 kph) zone.

———

Information from: Houston Chronicle, http://www.houstonchronicle.com

News - Houston police chief nabs driver for going 140 mph

RRelated Posts

CComments

• brickmette

Anyone traveling 140 mph on a public highway is an imminent danger to other drivers.
    The police chief should have arrested the driver and impounded the car.

• USAF Retired

Wow at that speed, it should have been considered reckless driving. Who in their right mind needs to drive 140 mph?

• Hambone

How did Chief Acevedo catch the guy if his car tops out at 120 and the guy was doing 140? Just asking the obvious question.

• Flippykitty

The man has a need for speed! Just like Trump with reopening the government, even if no one in this administration has a clue as to what to do next on this.

• EC Patriot

How about reckless endangerment? How about felonious operation of a motor vehicle? How about lifetime suspension of driving privileges?

A ticket? Why bother?

• TheWordistheWord

Guys 140 is nothing for a viper. Heck Eagle Talons used to rip up to that on daily commutes. Beautiful little cars. I feel sorry for today's generation. Miss the 90s.

• Thoughts n prayers

An arrest should have been made here. His sole responsibilty as a cop is public safety. 140mph in a 55mph zone could have ended with someone dead.

• Dee

I'm a big fan of Chief Acevedo but this deserves much more than a slap on the wrist. Houston has some of the most horrific car accidents and this could have been one of them.

• Sal Monela

This is not amusing in any way. The officer should have arrested this clown and impounded his car. The courts then need to send the driver a clear message that this kind of act is not acceptable. A hefty fine and license suspension is what is needed.

• gypsy

My best is an Aston Martin doing 134 in a 75. I was on my Honda ST1300. If he hadn't slowed down to exit the highway, I wouldn't have caught him.

• snake

I recall getting a ticket for driving 96 in OK years ago and the ticket was for $125. I guess Texas has higher fines than most states.

• BluntNotPC

The driver of the Viper was yelling "... how do you get this thing out of second gear..." --- little nash rambler.

• babs1960

Seems he got off easy. Wonder why?
    Guess he can expect his insurance rates to go up.
    Cha ching

• Toshiro Histugaya

A ticket? I was under the impression anything that grossly over the speed limit was criminal reckless driving.

• Dharam Sikka

Such people need more than a ticket, such reckless driving is as much dangerous for other road users also.

• gearhedd

If I had known I would just get a ticket, I would have run faster in my Camaro! Life's been good to me, so far ...