Oct 11, 2018, 5:39 PM ET

Trump signs bill that ensures music streaming services pay artist royalties

#

There were some "Good Vibrations" at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue on Thursday.

Musicians including Mike Love from the Beach Boys, Kid Rock, John Rich of Big and Rich, and Sam Moore of Sam and Dave came to the White House for the signing of a bill that substantially changes the way musicians are compensated for their work played on digital streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora.

“Certain entertainers have been taken advantage for years, but no longer — thanks to Trump. Can you believe it?” President Trump said after signing the Music Modernization Act.

The new law, in part, also ensures that songwriters and artists get royalties on songs recorded before 1972.

PHOTO: Elvis Presley performs in concert at the Milwaukee Arena, April 27, 1977, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.Ronald C. Modra/ Getty Images
Elvis Presley performs in concert at the Milwaukee Arena, April 27, 1977, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Sam Moore called the bill "historic,” saying Trump got done what other presidents didn't.

PHOTO: Musician Kid Rock listens as President Donald Trump speaks during a signing ceremony for the Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act, in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Oct. 11, 2018.Evan Vucci/AP
Musician Kid Rock listens as President Donald Trump speaks during a signing ceremony for the "Orrin G. Hatch-Bob Goodlatte Music Modernization Act," in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Oct. 11, 2018.

"Uh oh, I got the mic," joked Kid Rock, a Trump supporter who has been to the White House before to dine with the president.

"A big part of this bill that I'm a huge fan of is for the unsung songwriters out there," Kid Rock said.

The legislation, updating music copyright law, combines the Allocation for Music Producers Act, which provides royalties for music producers; the CLASSICS Act, which provides royalties for songs created before 1972 from digital streaming services; and a watered-down Fair Play, Fair Pay Act, which does not include the provision that broadcast radio should pay for songs.

PHOTO: Murray Wilson and the Beach Boys, from left, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston.Redferns/Getty Images
Murray Wilson and the Beach Boys, from left, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston.

The music community lauded the legislation.

"With the president's signature Thursday, the Music Modernization Act is officially the law of the land. As we celebrate the harmony and unity that got us here, we applaud the efforts of the thousands of performers, songwriters, and studio professionals who rallied for historic change to ensure all music creators are compensated fairly when their work is used by digital and satellite music services," Neil Portnow, President and CEO of the Recording Academy said in a statement.

"We thank the members of Congress who championed this issue throughout the past several years to bring music law into the 21st century."

News - Trump signs bill that ensures music streaming services pay artist royalties

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Tugg Speedmann

#MMGA

• Salvatore Leonardo Liotta

He should have vetoed the bill, but he doesn't. Most people in entertainment hate the guy, yet he still takes care of them. Surprised to see Trump supporters comment on an ABC news article, fake news!!

• Gary Benard Hall

they are currently paying 3/4 of a penny per stream, Now, did they increase the amount they are actually paying per stream, I'm thinking maybe 4 1/2 cents per stream, would be a livable wage for performers, otherwise, it's just a waste of time!!

• disqus_sBKZDGKiG8

The bill was passed unanimously by both houses of congress, so I guess Trump can't claim all the credit. It is veto proof.

• TexasVulcan

Technology moves so much faster than laws can keep up.

• Boxingwithangels

He signed a bill that was in the works by Congress for a few years. Big whoop. Everything he does is to engratiate himself with a particular group. If he thinks all artists will stop being against him, he's an idiot

• CaptnBlynd

Just one more thing accomplished which I approve of.

• stamped human bacon

If I were to develop a drug that cured cancer, the patent would expire after 20 years. Seems odd that a music 'patent' would be given greater protection.

• Thomas

I am very wary of people who refer to themselves in the third person. I have always felt that is an indicator of a personality disorder.

• Alexis Rivera

This bill does nothing to ensure artists get paid. Why? Because it doesn't regulate the music industry's labels and middlemen that pocket the lion's share of the profits. By going after streaming sites those leeches will get more money while artists stay the same. It also creates new rights to copyright holders for free while the consumer eats a price hike. Copyright is already stacked against the public interest giving it enough power to even curtail free speech. Artists better shut up about getting even more rights after this. Not because they dont deserve to get paid but because its their own fault they let producers and labels eat their lunch while they whine the public that feeds them is never paying enough.

• MidTennDog

I understand Trump taking credit where none belongs but what the heck is Sam Moore doing praising Trump over this?? Trump had ZERO to do with this bill other than signing it into law. It took years to get this bill worked out and passed the House and Senate UNANIMOUSLY. Even if he vetoed it, it would have no problem getting the two thirds majority to overrule.

• AlexaGuyer

Seriously? The people in Florida have lost everything they had, the stock market is in chaos and Trump wants to make sure that musicians get paid for streaming their music? Priorities.

• Carswell

I thought they were getting paid, no doubt they should be.

• EK the greek

Music streaming services pass on the bill to customers and lose nothing ......

• David

I miss Limewire. Didn't need Pandora or Spotify.

• Rickyrick Somerick

Trump getting work done like no president ever he is on another level.maga2020 greatest president ever!

• kritikosman

Now pay the musicians!

• Jan515

Funny I did not see any coverage of President Trump signing the Save Or Seas Act into law today. The new law will help protect our Oceans from dumping of waste.

• Truthfully

So let's see...............Who pays for those royalties???

Take out your wallet AGAIN trump supporters! We know those starving artists are having it rough. Gee didn't trump use someones songs without permission??