WASHINGTON — Oct 11, 2018, 8:58 AM ET

Man in wheelchair falls to death off transit escalator

#

A Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority official says a man fell to his death when he attempted to ride an upward Metro escalator in a motorized wheelchair.

Metro spokeswoman Sherri Ly tells news outlets the man called for an elevator at the Columbia Heights Metro station Wednesday afternoon before quickly boarding the escalator. She says he had nearly reached the top of the escalator when he fell backward, landing at the bottom.

Ly says the man was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead. She says his name isn't being released pending the notification of his family.

She says the elevator was working. A recent Metro report says elevator availability for the last fiscal year was 97 percent. But many people with disabilities disagree, citing frequent breakdowns.

News - Man in wheelchair falls to death off transit escalator

RRelated Posts

CComments

• jlew911

Lord forgive me, but why would he even attempt something like that especially if the elevator was working! I read in another article he got tired of waiting for it. Should've waited..

• Sunshine1229

I wince when I see people attempt to take the escalator, with strollers, even if they have support at the back and front.

• Band, On the Run

I use a manual wheelchair, and I'd never even consider using an escalator. Trying it in a motorized chair? Those things are very heavy. Going over backwards down a flight of steps in one of them would be deadly. Obviously.

• BannedAgain

This is how it will play out. There were no signs warning people in wheelchairs not to take the escalator. Since there were no signs the guy thought it would be OK. The fault lies with the transit authority.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury his family deserves the 10 million we're asking for.

• Wacked

Maybe he should've taken an uber

• brickmette

Maybe it's not such a good idea to try to ride an escalator while in a wheelchair.

• Dicazi

Late for work?

• Jiba

All what I can say is RIP

• gs12

Where ever he was going wasn't worth the price.

• USAF Retired

Kind of crazy to ride a motorized wheelchair on an escalator.

• Don'tBotherMe

Someone who uses a motorized wheelchair to get around should KNOW you can't use an escalator safely. He called for an elevator but should have waited.

• The Terminator

I don't think an escalator is equipped to handle a wheelchair.

Sounds like he was a little impatient.

• David

Like the bumper sticker says "Stupid is not a handicap"

• Who_Smells?

Do dumb things and dumb things happen.

• mrshvd3

And will his family now sue Metro and the escalator company for not posting BIG signs stating "Do NOT ride this escalator in a WHEELCHAIR"?

• Bertd

What level of stupidity does it take to think you can safely ride a wheelchair up an escalator???

• MandalayBay328

Theres this invention called an elevator......you'd be AMAZED at how it works!!!

• Bongs&Thongs

He knew the risks

• THEFred

To paraphrase Orwell, commuters want less statistics, and more working elevators.

• JuPMod

Gee, was the step large enough to hold the wheelchair? Unless there is someone supporting the chair from behind, I really do not see how can anyone in a wheelchair can safely ride an escalator on his or her own.

• Kirby

That is just stupid. But I suppose we all do dumb things we don't really think about unless they go terribly wrong like this did.

• Chuck Heston

Just because you are in a wheel chair doesn't mean you can't be stupid. Darwin at work here folks.