Police officer charged with murder in killing of Australian woman in Minnesota

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• smuck hunter

Between his record and his acts he has real legal problems; diversity hire with questionable stability under stress. Kinda defines police work, stressful, interacting with people.
    Now add acts, seeing a person, most especially a female when answering a call on possible rape of a female. Who do you expect to see coming up to a police car window?
    The rapist is likely escaping and the victim is likely running to the police car.
    Shooting across your police partner/car driver to shoot an unknown level of threat. The law is you shoot a threat to you or others. I was jumpy, I saw a white dressed person and shot it. Does not meet the legal standard to shoot. Police get a real break because of the job and system in favor of police.
    Police are not military, they are civilians sworn to obey and enforce the laws. Yes they do have more training and are selected for stability under stress.
    The officer can not meet the standard to shoot. Violating that standard = trial. I expect with him being a diversity hire his record is slanted to pass and let him become a police officer.
    Another round of government incompetence for political reasons. And the population suffers.
    It is good the the police are being held more to the standar the police hold the rest of us to.
    But no, it is not fair how police killings are judged.

This is a xenophobic prosecution of an innocent immigrant wanting to serve his community.

• James Bridges

This cop committed a homicide...plain and simple. The cops, upon their arrival at the scene, should have gotten their lazy asses out of their patrol car in order to properly check the immediate area...

• Thomas

We simply can not condone nor accept police officers shooting people because they were startled.

If an ordinary citizen were to shoot someone because they were startled, they would be immediately charged and would have an excellent chance of being convicted. The police need to be held to a higher standard if they are going to be allowed to carry weapons.

• bibleexpert

Men who quake with fear when they see an unarmed woman in an alley should not be allowed to become police officers.

• CaptnBlynd

The amount of open racism and denial of reality shown here is both disgusting and typical.

Manslaughter is appropriate. Shove your race baiting.

• Glenn Phillips

Well, what happened here? America got pretty noisy & upset over this killing but is routinely silent when the unarmed victims are people of color. Shame. Didnt this cop fear for his life like all the rest say..

• Realpshep

It's a start but circumstances are different. Black immigrant cop, white woman victim...ERIC GARNER didn't get this justice...among others. But gotta start somewhere huh

• tet1953

Body cams are pretty useless if officers have control over them.

• Betty Bloop

i'm glad he'll face charges...i'm tired of cops gunning down unarmed citizens

• Tim Coolio

What's with all these trigger-happy cops?

• LHarr

Good to see the murder charge but history shows little chance of conviction for that unfortunately.

• disqus_q4S3Q2uT7I

Blood is only partially on his hands. The real blood is on the leftist politicians who push for diversity quota at the expenses of competency, qualification and fairness.

• vincentlawrence

Are the Minneapolis cops afraid of the Somali terrorist Al Shabaab, they had to be ordered by the Grand Jury to testify.
    It's long overdue now open the can of worms and let all the stink out, be rid of the dirty cops in Minneapolis and start with the Mafia Police Union.

• Misty Mac đź’Ż

It’s that nervous trigger finger too many have. Those types shouldn’t be officers if they can’t be in precarious situations without killing someone who approaches.

• Jiba

This guy deserves at least 20 years behind bar

• Verity Pendelton

I wouldn't get to excited - most of these cops opt for a bench trial without a jury, and judges rarely, if ever, convict them of murder. They acquit every time.

• reality25

This versus the outcome of the Philando Castile case (same Minnesota) should be interesting.

• snake

All of you bad white cops can disregard this murder charge but let it be a lesson to all you cops "who doesn't look like us" to think before you kill a white woman.

• Subliminal .

When it's a black man shooting an unarmed white woman, the law takes precedence like it's supposed to. When it's a white man shooting an unarmed black man, 90% of the time no charges are ever brought. It's funny how that works in America.

• Another commenter

I don't know what he should be convicted of but he doesn't have the nerve to be a cop.

• RufDisQ

She is constantly being described as an expat. What happened to plain 'immigrant'?

• elsie_eye

Bit more info from Star Tribune:

"Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor has been charged with murder and manslaughter charges in the July shooting death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond.

Noor is charged with third degree murder “perpetrating eminently dangerous act and evincing depraved mind” and second-degree manslaughter, “culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk.”

County attorney Mike Freeman announced a 2:30 p.m. news conference Tuesday to discuss the case, which drew international attention and led to the ouster of former police chief Janeé Harteau. Noor was booked into Hennepin County jail at 11:16 a.m., according to jail records, on a Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension warrant for third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. Bail was set at $500,000."

• xThatxSamexDudex

At least they passed down some actual, realistic charges instead of the "warm and fuzzy" charges they normally do and play a part in helping officers walk.

• Skip

Funny how you never see comments like these when white cops kills a citizen. All you hear is a certain color of people trying to turn the victim into a criminal to justify the shooting. If you ever wondered why people call you racist, here is an example of the hypocrisy. Even though all are not like that, there is enough to easily recognize.

• idrinkalone

Murder?

Nah. Manslaughter for sure.

• John Smith

AMAZING! Never thought this would happen. Now let's see if a jury will convict him of anything other than a petty crime.

• Guitarded

The other officer must have been horrified and shocked having a gun fired across him, and may have hearing damage also. Plus seeing someone killed that they were there to help, really bad scene.

• KRJ

They never convict cops. He'll say he heard a noise and was in fear of his life. The stupid jury will let him go. Happens every time

• I Don't Know

The old shoot first ask question 2nd routine. Got it.