Mar 20, 2018, 6:34 AM ET

Melania Trump to host cyberbullying roundtable with tech execs at White House

#

First lady Melania Trump is set to sit down with technology industry leaders at the White House on Tuesday for a conversation on cyberbullying and internet safety — against the backdrop of the president's penchant for tweeting insults and name-calling on social media.

Executives from Amazon, Facebook, Google, Twitter and other tech companies are among invited attendees for Tuesday’s roundtable discussion with the first lady, according to a White House official.

The White House says Mrs. Trump will be looking to discuss both the positive and negative impacts of technology on the nation’s children.

PHOTO: First lady Melania Trump arrives to host a round table discussion with tech leaders on the effects of the Internet on children at the White House, March 20, 2018.Jonathan Ernst/Reuters
First lady Melania Trump arrives to host a round table discussion with tech leaders on the effects of the Internet on children at the White House, March 20, 2018.

“Mrs. Trump has simply asked for a meeting to discuss one of the many things that impact children -- as she has done many times in the past, on several different topics,” the first lady’s spokesperson Stephanie Grisham said in a statement.

PHOTO: First lady Melania Trump speaks in the Rose Garden of the White House May 7, 2018 in Washington, DC. Trump outlined her new initiatives, known as the Be Best program, during the event.
SLIDESHOW: Melania Trump through the years

Prior to her husband’s election to the White House, Mrs. Trump had said that the issue of cyberbullying would be one of her “main focuses” if she became first lady.

“Our culture has gotten too mean and too rough, especially to children and teenagers. It is never okay when a 12-year-old girl or boy is mocked, bullied, or attacked. It is terrible when that happens on the playground. And it is absolutely unacceptable when it is done by someone with no name hiding on the internet,” Mrs. Trump said at the time.

In the early months of her time as first lady, Trump backed away from publicly discussing the issue of cyberbullying, leading to speculation that she had abandoned the issue altogether in light of the contrast with the president's frequent social media attacks.

But in a speech at the United Nations in September, the first lady again dove back into the issue, offering her opinion about the need to protect children from negative online experiences.

PHOTO: First lady Melania Trump walks onto the stage to introduce her husband and to speak about opioids at an event at Manchester Community College on March 19, 2018 in Manchester, N.H.Spencer Platt/Getty Images
First lady Melania Trump walks onto the stage to introduce her husband and to speak about opioids at an event at Manchester Community College on March 19, 2018 in Manchester, N.H.

"We must turn our focus right now to the message and content [children] are exposed to on a daily basis through social media — the bullying, the experience online and in person," the first lady said in September.

Mrs. Trump’s focus on cyberbullying has attracted ridicule given the president’s propensity to name-call and attack his rivals on Twitter. The first lady has made clear she doesn’t approve of all of the president’s Twitter habits and isn’t shy about offering her opinion when she thinks he shouldn’t send a tweet.

“Sometimes he listens, sometimes he doesn’t,” Trump said in an interview with CBS in 2016. “I think he hears me. But he will do what he wants to do in the end. He’s an adult. He knows the consequences. And I give him my opinion. And he could do whatever he likes with it.”

News - Melania Trump to host cyberbullying roundtable with tech execs at White House

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Annie

Waste of air.

• Burnell Browne

I Think that such a cultured COMMUNIST AS MELANIA trump SHOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED trump to BUY HER DUMB ASS NOW SHE LIES FOR trumpster TOO!!!

• Joe james

it's like the crack dealers volunteering at the addiction center. this whole presidency is a slap in the face to true americans.

• Btheladyinred

She is no one to talk about this subject. She is married to the biggest bully of them all. Just total nonsense for her to do this.

• Morgan

This is a joke. Mrs Trump defended her hubby about locker room talk before the election. How in the world can she expect to make any progress in this area when her husband bullies people daily? The cause is a good one but the messenger is all wrong.

Can't wait to see the kids march on the 24th! they are the future of the country :) I can see many great role models in this group of intelligent speaking kids. They can and will vote very soon :)

• Siestasis42

Maybe her anti bullying should start at home with that fool of a husband.

• Smashly

While the irony is not lost upon me, I think Melania should be commended for championing this cause. I think she is very brave to put herself out there like that.

• Gonzo Destructo

can she start with the fool she's married to? too funny, put the brain dead wife in charge of the opiod crisis, and then this? what a joke................

• Hater_Baiter

Next on her list will be sweatshops in Asian countries. smdh

• PanicMoon

This makes as much sense as Smokey the Bear being married to a serial arsonist.

• thenitenurse

I guess anyone who would have personal experience with a cyberbully would be Melania since she is married to one.

• mollydtt

Of all the causes that Melania could support--cyber bullying is the most ridiculous.

Her husband is an obnoxious bully, who spreads lies and hatred every day.
    Donald Trump is the bully in chief, and the rest of the world knows that already.

• Jen Bordon

"I.. just ADORE a penthouse view. Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue!"

• Fermer Votre Bouche

When will Twitter take action to shutdown its biggest cyberbully ?

• Prophet With Honor

I was ready to play along with this and then she said "He is an adult...", then I lost it!

• Anna Mac

There are a million amazing causes out there. Watching Harry & Meghan with their charities might give you some ideas...
    Your husband is a giant bully.
    You just can't pull this off. It's too much of a disconnect.
    Pick something else.

• Juggles

I hope she is successful.

• thinkmore

Melania: you are married to the world's biggest cyberbully. Why would anybody believe a word you say on the subject? BTW, your husband is also the biggest liar in the world. Another reason your credibility is near zero.

• Karolyn Lapka

How hypocritical. Did she just wake up now and decide to do something? Bored, Melania?????? What is this meeting supposed to accomplish?

• Mike Kennedy

Her effort is a complete waste of time if she cannot temper the cyber bullying of her husband. Kids see him doing it and figure that's the way things should be since the president is doing it.

• My two cents

She apparently speaks four languages but doesn't understand the word 'irony'.

• Erik Knight

Melania Trump focusing on cyberbullying? How can she do anything about bullying when she can't even control her Trump's bullying. Like calling Elizabeth Warren "pocohontas" or how about calling Chuck Todd of Meet the Press a sleepy-eyed -itch (oops forgot the "b"). These are only 2 among a plethora of others.

• Truthfully

I see a STORM on the Horizon......

• Truthfully

The THIRD Lady thinks we need a Bullying Commission??
    Always start at HOME First!!!!!

• Jack25

Big Bully Trump should be her first project. Surprised everyone in the room did just burst out laughing.

• NuuJuce

Cyberbullying. Trump's middle name.

• Planet Earth

Third Lady Melania = COMPLICIT

• mollydtt

That cyberbully message is DOA--for obvious reasons. What a waste.

• Carla O'Neal

Stupid Melania, throwing away integrity and pride over the orange clowns money and BS. I thought at first she must be blind, but I realize now she is just plain ignorant

• paul miller

I wonder who she voted for in 2016

• quinLee

I miss having a First Lady who can stand on her own morals, intelligence, education and professional experiences.
    -Princeton University and Harvard Law School graduate
    -Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago
    -Vice President for Community and External Affairs of the University of Chicago Medical Center.
    -And no pics of her tail all across the Internet.

• Morey Amsterdam

I hope her husband doesn't stop by, thinking it's a "how to" get together.

• FlorMedDoc

If Melania wants to do something about bullying maybe she should start with Trump's attorneys attack on Stormy Daniels.

• Enki

You know everyone in that meeting is thinking it.

• novamcln

Everybody, shhhh! The First Golddigga is speaking.

• o.w. sanchez

let your HUSBAND lead by EXAMPLE!

• novamcln

Cyberbullying? Really? It's almost as if she's never personally met Donald Trump before.

• ohyes2011

Too too funny.