Feb 14, 2018, 2:46 PM ET

Shots fired as unauthorized vehicle tried to enter NSA headquarters

#

Shots were fired Wednesday morning as an unauthorized vehicle tried to enter the secure campus of the National Security Agency's headquarters in Fort Meade, Md. authorities said.

The incident happened shortly after 7 a.m. ET and "weapons were discharged in the course of the incident, which remained under investigation at this time," NSA spokesman Tommy Groves said in a statement.

"The situation is under control and there is no ongoing security or safety threat," Groves added. "The FBI is presently leading the investigation."

PHOTO: In this image made from video and provided by WUSA TV-9, authorities investigate the scene of a shooting at Fort Meade, Md. on Feb. 14, 2018.WUSA TV-9 via AP
In this image made from video and provided by WUSA TV-9, authorities investigate the scene of a shooting at Fort Meade, Md. on Feb. 14, 2018.

Three men, including the driver, were inside the unauthorized vehicle at the time of the incident, and investigators believe the car was a rental, according to Gordon Johnson, special agent in charge of the FBI's Baltimore field Office. The FBI is investigating why shots were fired, Johnson said, but preliminary information indicates the gunfire was directed at the vehicle.

"That’s part of the investigation, to determine exactly what happened here," Johnson said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. "This vehicle did come onto the NSA compound unauthorized and NSA has a series of protocols that they respond to these types of events, so that is part of our investigation and one of the questions we’re trying to answer."

NSA police took three people into custody, Groves said, adding that the incident is not terrorism-related.

The driver of the car, an NSA police officer and a civilian onlooker were injured during the incident and transported to a local hospital, according to Johnson. While he didn't know the status of the wounded driver, Johnson said the injuries sustained by the officer and the civilian were described as not life-threatening.

PHOTO: An external view of the National Security Agency building in the Washington suburb of Fort Meade, Md., is captured on Jan. 25, 2006. Paul J. Richards/AFP via Getty Images FILE
An external view of the National Security Agency building in the Washington suburb of Fort Meade, Md., is captured on Jan. 25, 2006.

Groves, the NSA spokesman, said earlier that preliminary reports indicate the injuries were not from gunfire.

Sources told ABC News the injuries were vehicle-related.

An earlier statement from the NSA said the incident took place "at one of NSA’s secure vehicle entry gates."

FBI agents responded to the scene, working in collaboration with NSA police, sources told ABC News.

The investigation is ongoing.

ABC News' Becky Perlow and Morgan Winsor contributed to this report.

News - Shots fired as unauthorized vehicle tried to enter NSA headquarters

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Nerdrage

Something doesn't jive with this story. Those bags opened at the back of the vehicle are suitcases, and there's little kids' toys scattered around. The blood on the ground is a large pool and it looks like it splashed a lot, that's way too much and too concentrated for wounds sustained in a vehicle crash. There's a whole lot more to this story, about what went down and how.

• doug harmon

they probably made a wrong turn.. I know because I accidentally pulled into a nuclear power plant back after 9-11 instead of the coal fired power plant down the road about a mile and these guys in solid black came out and surrounded my vehicle with automatic weapons pointed right at me. I thought I was dead for sure. but they looked at my papers and said I needed to go down the road.. lol.. scared the heck outta me though..

• Jason Born

Not the first mass shooting at a school in the US and it will not be the last. It's only a matter of time when guys like this work in teams or get access to much heavier weapons causing hundreds of casualties at a time.

• Brooks Payne

How did they miss at that range?

• sdoubledub

Thankful for the brave men and women who keep us safe. The same FBI that's being bashed for political gain is too busy dealing with serious issues like this, while others only belittle them. THEY are heroes imo.

• M Miller

Could be a test run to check for weak spots. Security must stay vigilant.

• ken2rae

My guess is some enraged Trumpabilly, filled with false propaganda from right wing rags like the stupid Pizzagate guy.

• RedSoxPatriotsCelticsBruinsFan

probly an alien.

• Tony Radcliffe-Hung

Probably just some aides for Devin Nunes trying to plant some evidence.

• Blue Wave

Security at and around NSA is literally deadly serious. They even have Maryland state troopers sitting along the roads that surround the main campus to prevent anyone from even stopping to take a look. Have a breakdown and you're sure to get a wrecker in record time. I made the mistake one time of having two empty propane bottles in the back of my truck - I was planning a cookout that weekend and was going to fill them up after work. Imagine my surprise when two NSA police officers approach me in my office asking about those bottles. Found out real quick that's a no-no on NSA property.

• MickC

"An external view of the National Security Agency
    building in the Washington suburb of Fort Meade, Md., is captured on
    Jan. 25, 2006."
    Washington suburb? It's a Baltimore suburb, less than 10 miles outside Baltimore, more than 20 miles outside Washington, and in northern Anne Arundel County, midway between Annapolis and Baltimore City, which traditionally identifies with Baltimore. The award for "Baltimore's Best Hotdog" went to Anne's Dari-Creme, also in northern A.A. County and a similar distance from Baltimore. The award for "Baltimore's Best Crab Cake" went to G&M Restaurant, which is a short distance from Camp Meade Road.

• K Mat

Sandy Berger going back to get that last HiIIary doc.

• rightened

I was stationed at Fort Meade while going to "A" School, and we were told upon checking into the barracks, "That's the way to the NSA. If you have no business going there, don't." They are beyond damned serious about anyone approaching that building without authorization.

• Paul Iannello

no terrorism...man they figured that out pretty fast...

• 3 pack abs

Bad idea - that place is more heavily guarded than Fort Knox

• Dam Yehudi Nakam

Must have been one of Trump's or Vlad's men.

• Johnny Sanchez

It was Kenn Starr looking for the Monica dress.

• BassPlyr73 Again

Probably just an entitled millennial, thinking they can go anywhere they please.

• krussell25

I wonder if they knew it was coming.

• Prophet With Honor

Same gate the drunks tried to crash a couple of years ago?

• Billy Bob Smith

Just exercising his 2nd Amendment right to ownership and use.

• Jukka-Emil Vanaja

Nothing to see here, it was just the real Obama trying to escape from the cloning and containment zone.

• Untouchable2K™

Too much freedom in this country, that's the problem. We need Japan law.

• Unsharpened Pencil

How could there have been a shooting in the NSA, in a secure area?

• allison kirkpatric

The suspect has been identified as an American gun owner.

• Dukedaddy

This will turn out to simply a traffic accident. Even it was more, we will be told "It is nothing more than a traffic accident."

• DFW-Texas

Glad to see Security was up to the task, no hesitation on their part, good job!

• Lurker111

Just another guy going to save the kids in the basement of the child sex ring building.

• Orange McCarthy Slush

The FBI responded? Must be an Obama deep state conspiracy. (Sarcasm)