Feb 14, 2018, 3:58 AM ET

Mardi Gras shootings leave 3 dead, several injured in New Orleans

#

Three people were fatally shot and several others were injured in three separate shootings in New Orleans on Tuesday amid Mardi Gras festivities, according to the New Orleans Police Department.

The first shooting occurred in the French Quarter and was "steps away from where crowds watched the final Mardi Gras Day parades roll by," according to ABC News New Orleans affiliate WGNO.

Deputy Superintendent Paul Noel told WGNO that one man was shot in the head and is in critical condition, and another man was shot in the leg and is stable. Both were transported by EMS to a local hospital.

According to Noel, a group of 10 or 12 young adults had gotten into an argument before gunshots erupted. Police are still searching for suspects and have released an image of a suspect taken from surveillance footage.

PHOTO: People watch as police investigate the scene of a Mardi Gras day shooting in the lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans, Feb. 13, 2018.Gerald Herbert/AP
People watch as police investigate the scene of a Mardi Gras day shooting in the lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans, Feb. 13, 2018.

Just over an hour later, a second shooting occurred along the Mardi Gras parade route, resulting in one dead, according to WGNO.

NOPD was not able to provide further details on this shooting, other than that it is being investigated as a homicide.

A third shooting at night resulted in two dead and three injured, according to WGNO. It occurred outside of a gas station convenience store, a few miles from the French Quarter.

PHOTO: A woman is comforted by others as police investigate the scene of a Mardi Gras day shooting that left at least one dead and others injured, in the lower ninth ward in New Orleans, Feb. 13, 2018.Gerald Herbert/AP
A woman is comforted by others as police investigate the scene of a Mardi Gras day shooting that left at least one dead and others injured, in the lower ninth ward in New Orleans, Feb. 13, 2018.

"One of the victims died at the scene. A second victim died at the hospital. As of Tuesday night, there was no word on the conditions of the remaining three victims," according to WGNO.

None of the victims' identities have been released.

News - Mardi Gras shootings leave 3 dead, several injured in New Orleans

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Blaize Rage

This is barely making news with the new school shooting in Florida on Wednesday.

• rwendling70

Hey, America, are you tired of all the shootings? Try killing the shooters who remain alive after killing or maiming innocents. Life in prison costing the taxpayer $40,000 per year each, who then gets medical/dental, TV, internet, a library, weight room, clothing, shoes and TO LIVE. Just as you and I as individuals have a right to protect ourselves, the state has a right to protect itself. See Article II, Section 2, paragraph 1 and Section 3 of the world's best, the US Constitution. Take that, Venezuela!

• akramden

What? Shootings happen on Tuesday - Article comes out Wednesday? Obviously didn't involve NOLA's finest, otherwise it woulda been reported like INSTANTANEOUSLY. And the free munchies and beer fest woulda been on like Donkey Kong!

• Fred Lang, enlightened troll

"A group of 10 or 12 young adults had gotten into an argument before gunshots erupted."

Well we all know what that's code for.

• akramden

Let me guess - A hate crime? So - 1965.

• DD

No news here. Just the way these inner city Democrats live their immoral, savage existence. These same Democrats vote the corrupt and evil to lead their cesspool city govt year after year and expect it to get better. It won't and they get what they deserve.

• GiantSlayer

Charge them with terrorism, they do not care about hitting bystanders. Boycott Mardi Grais until New Orleans gains control over the "young adults. "

• oney

I am damn glad these "people" are re segregating themselves. Makes others safer.

• Letusgetreal

Not surprised. The demographics tell all. It's the same all over the country - Newark, Chicago, Baltimore, Memphis, Jackson, St. Louis, Detroit, Washington D.C., etc.

• Vicki S

you can't take blacks anywhere

• ELCID

What do you expect from the most Racist Controled and Run City Council and City Government in the United States, except: Corruption, Scandal and Violent Crime? New Orleans gets what it deserves, by electing these Racist Reprobates to run their town.

• HelloDarkness

They just had to get all the killing out of their system bc they promised to give up murder for Lent.

• Grab_a_root

Only three? Praise Jesus!

• Exador

Wait, I thought New Orleans was going to be all bunnies and roses, now that the confederate statues have been taken down!

• Thud2

EVERYTHING is about trump? This $h!thole city was created by LIBERAL DEMOCRATS! Live with it.

• nearboston

We need to enact legislation that targets these Amish NRA members. First thing we have to do is take away their legally obtained firearms.

• Joei

I thought all the racist were on Yahoo. I guess not!

• Truth-B-Me

Another embarrassment to America thanks to the NRA and lack of stringent gun control laws.

• Joei

I don't understand why gangs aren't illegal in this country. They get more powerful each day they are ignored. A lot of gangs have terrorized minority communities for years. Now they hitting up everybody. I guess government though they were gonna stay in one place. Not!

• Biff Wellington

In other words, a slow weekend...

• ahtirnneberg

It's about time to send UN troops to US to collect some weapons, let's say 200 000 000 pieces for starters. World doesn't need two Somalias.

• stronmness

auto thinning of the herd..

• Robert Eric Oberlies

I see so many hiding behind their touchscreens and keyboards this morning. Step out into the light - start by backing up your free speech with your real name.

• Bill Clinton

Houston welcomed the displaced from Katina 13 years ago....most of them decided to stay and now Houston and New Orleans are fill of crime........

• Mari Marigold

I have absolutely no desire to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras or at any other time.

• August Jones

It's nice to see New Orleans back to its normal self...

• Puriel

Every public event now has someone shooting at someone. We don't attended many like we use to. The fun is gone. Knowing I could lose a loved one by a bullet. BUT we NEED all those guns right?? I guess it's Americas way of population control.

• 1st spear

the parades are nothing what people think. That being said, the city itself is very urban and as the crowd grows this is expected. the earlier parades are mostly very family orientated.