Feb 13, 2018, 4:44 AM ET

Mother charged after 14-year-old son allegedly stockpiled weapons for school shooting

#

The mother of a 14-year-old who police say planned to shoot multiple classmates at his Pennsylvania high school was charged on Monday in connection to the foiled plot, authorities said.

Lenora Ann Hendrix, of Markleysburg, Pennsylvania, was charged with knowingly and intentionally delivering or providing a firearm to a minor, according to ABC affiliate WTAE, after her son threatened to carry out a mass shooting at Uniontown High School last month.

The teen, who wasn't indentified, was taken into police custody on Jan. 25, just days after mass shootings at high schools in Kentucky and Texas. A witness reported that she overheard the suspect saying he would kill four classmates he disliked, officials said.

PHOTO: An Alameda Police officer evacuates volunteer students wearing makeup to simulate injuries during a school shooting and mass evacuation drill at Lincoln Middle School, May 22, 2007, in Alameda, Calif.Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
An Alameda Police officer evacuates volunteer students wearing makeup to simulate injuries during a school shooting and mass evacuation drill at Lincoln Middle School, May 22, 2007, in Alameda, Calif.

Police later obtained a search warrant for the suspect's home and recovered from his bedroom a semi-automatic rifle, a shotgun, two machetes, throwing knives, two lever-action rifles, a revolver, a cross bow, "and bulk ammunition for all of the weapons," Fayette County District Attorney Richard Bower said at a news conference in January.

When asked about the weapons, Hendrix told police that she permitted her son to store firearms in his bedroom to teach him responsibility and to "let him grow up," according to a criminal complaint.

The suspect "indicated that it would be extremely easy to sneak a gun into the school in his backpack," Bower said. "And he also indicated that he could use a sniper rifle from a distance, or use a shotgun for mass casualties."

Bower praised the witness who overheard and reported the threat, saying "thank God" she called the police and that "a catastrophe" like was "averted today."

The teen was charged with terroristic threats, possession of a firearm by a minor and criminal attempt to commit catastrophe, authorities said. It was unclear if Hendrix or her son had obtained an attorney as of Tuesday morning.

News - Mother charged after 14-year-old son allegedly stockpiled weapons for school shooting

RRelated Posts

CComments

• bob-e

2 arsenals found in one week, two states:

Look up Clarksburg High School in Maryland. Found today as well.

• Nick

She belongs in jail and he belongs in a psychiatric care facility (that he can't escape from).

• Bertd

Now that is just the dumbest thing ever. She should be charged. Each of my sons were given a 22 rifle from their grandfather when they turned 16. It's their rifles, but they stay in my cabinet. My youngest son just started a 22 league with me so I bought him his own pistol to shoot with. It's his pistol but unless were at the range, it stays in my possession and my cabinet until he's at least 21. That's teaching responsibility. I expect my kids will do the same with their kids as I taught them to do.

• USAF Retired

Could his mother be any more stupid?

• halldancer1

I'd like to give props to the girl who called 9-1-1. Too many kids don't take these things seriously or blow it off like a joke or someone just talking big man and then we have the likes of Columbine... She's a hero!

• halldancer1

Imagine you're perusing the news and come across this and find out it's your alma mater! Yikes!

• helicohunter

Sometimes, I really wish people had to get permission to breed.

• catmom

Who is she? I want to see her picture to see what a responsible gun owner looks like.

• xThatxSamexDudex

Teach responsibility.. Right.. Wouldnt responsibility involve keeping the weapons stowed when not in use?

• Comrade Jenkem

Obviously he was triggered by "Red Raiders"

• rightened

Parents: It's YOUR HOUSE. It's YOUR PROPERTY. It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to regulate what is in that house, and where it goes.

• Jenna
    Hendrix told police that she permitted her son to store firearms in his bedroom to teach him responsibility and to "let him grow up," according to a criminal complaint.

Funny - that's the exact same reason you'll be going to jail!

• Prophet With Honor

Now we may have a test case.

• MBW

Catch, neuter, release. It works for feral cat populations. Maybe it should be applied here so this woman-child doesn't have a chance to produce more anti-social kids.

• Blaize Rage

Teaching someone responsibility with a firearm is one gun. When they become an adult, they can purchase more guns.

• patty wright

I hope the mother is charged

• FasterBadger

I bet her participation in PTA meetings would be interesting.

• katerant

Some people just should not be parents.

• Arthur Conrad

Nothing says "I want my son to grow up" than assisting him in committing a mass murder.

• Hank R

Good police work!

• Lee Thompson

good . . . she should know better

• just saying

she wanted him to grow up because she didn't.

• Ivan Ivanovitch

So as far as I can tell, the only legal infraction against the mother would be to allow personal possession of the handgun and ammo for the handgun unless there's a conflicting local law. Per federal law, a minor under 18 cannot possess a handgun and related ammo unsupervised. There is no such possession restriction on long guns. Purchasing is 21 for handguns, 18 for long guns.

That's federal law. These days when people do not seem to know what's in their kids' heads and more liability is sought from firearm owners who do not diligently secure their firearms, the prudent choice is to lock them in a safe away from minors and anyone else like burglars.

I grew up with a .30-30 lever action in one corner an .22 repeating rifle in another corner and a .38 revolver in my nightstand drawer. 12 years old in 1973. We only locked our doors when we left town on vacation. Times are different.

• Siestasis42

Some people are too stupid to be parents. Case in point.

• Marc

Where is the NRA in these situations? Zero responsibility. I’m a gun owner and avid hunter and not coming out loud and clear condemning this type of behavior is clueless, reckless and utterly irresponsible. I want to keep my weapons and i’m smart enough to know that the slippery slope to loosing my gun rights is not some controls but a total lack of furiously reigning in the few bad actors and acting/avocating for responsible gun ownership. A lot of blood on the NRA’s hands.

• harrisonfordISback

braindead and far more, people have lost there minds

• John Michael Davis

"let him grow up". Into what?

• Don'tBotherMe

. . . to teach him responsibility and to "let him grow up," . . .

How in the world can stockpiling weapons and ammunition teach a 14 year-old responsibility? Having him shovel snow from his neighbors walkways or volunteering in a shelter would have taken him further in growing up to be a productive citizen. His youth is over thanks to this 'mom' who is clueless about parenting.

• threehundredthousand ✓ᵛᵉʳᶥᶠᶥᵉᵈ

A paper-round and a Saturday job helpd me become responsible. Different strokes for different folks.

• Traveler1

I think history will record the first decades of the 21st Century as the age of aggression. Kids killing kids. Now mother's helping their kids kill other kids.

We are headed for a major implosion!

• Thomas

"Hendrix told police that she permitted her son to store firearms in his bedroom to teach him responsibility and to "let him grow up,""

I don't think there are enough face-palms in the world to handle this.

I am glad she is charged

• Indy

What kind of worthless "parent"would think that this was an acceptable idea? Good thing someone said something before this psycho carried out his ret*rded actions/plans, and his mother should get a lengthy prison sentence herself.

• j a

You can't fix stupid.

• Sal Monela

Mother of the year candidate right there, folks.

• leb121

Thank God he was stop