PRETORIA, South Africa — Feb 12, 2018, 4:36 PM ET

Lions reportedly devour suspected poacher in South Africa

#

South African police are trying to identify a suspected poacher who was reportedly killed and partially devoured by lions in a private game reserve near the Kruger National Park.

The man’s mauled remains, including his head, were reportedly found today alongside a hunting rifle and ammunition.

"The process of identifying the deceased has already commenced and it might be made possible by the fact that his head is amongst the remains that were found at the scene,” South African Police Service spokesman Lt. Col. Moatshe Ngoepe told the country’s News24.

PHOTO:This file photo shows a lion and lioness walking along a trail at a game reserve on July 21, 2010 in Kruger National Park, South Africa. Kruger National Park, South Africa. Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
PHOTO:This file photo shows a lion and lioness walking along a trail at a game reserve on July 21, 2010 in Kruger National Park, South Africa. Kruger National Park, South Africa.

Ngoepe added: “We are now waiting for a person from the family but we are also utilizing our investigative resources to see if we can successfully identify the deceased."

Ngoepe told Agence France-Presse news agency: “It seems the victim was poaching in the game park when he was attacked and killed by lions. They ate his body, nearly all of it, and just left his head and some remains.”

PHOTO: In this file photo park rangers patrol a section of Kruger National Park scouting for possible poachers on July 31, 2014. File photo/AFP/Getty Images
In this file photo park rangers patrol a section of Kruger National Park scouting for possible poachers on July 31, 2014.

The Department of Home Affairs has also been asked in to assist in identifying the man.

It’s unclear whether the man was in the Ingwelala Private Game Reserve to specifically poach lions. Although lion poaching has been on the increase in recent years, the region has historically seen higher levels of rhino poaching, which is a more lucrative animal to kill illegally.

In parts of Asia, the horn is in high demand, where it's used as an ineffective form of alternative medicine or carved into works of art.

PHOTO: A file photo shows Kruger National Park in South Africa on April 16, 2017.Corbis via Getty Images
A file photo shows Kruger National Park in South Africa on April 16, 2017.

A year ago a man was mauled and killed by white lions in the same region after they escaped from their enclosure.

Several lions were found poisoned near a farm in the same province last year with their heads and paws sawed off. Lion body parts are used in traditional medicine.

News - Lions reportedly devour suspected poacher in South Africa

RRelated Posts

CComments

• disqus_fn5s2QCDp8

... because their basketball had gone flat ...

• @husker1979

Yeah!!!

• Hank R

Poetic justice.

• LizzyinNJ

He got what he deserved.

• Conor Fay

Hmmmmmm!!!!! Tastes like chicken.

• Ctrygrl

Lions -1 poachers - 0 YES made my day

• Doug Blasco

Karma. She is a B

• Dajibaski

He is now in better place

• disqus_vedYJCV2Gf

Karma!

• Matthew Hartwick

That's awesome:-)

• Siestasis42

Yeah, Lions 1 Poacher 0

• MandalayBay328

I say we file this story under "Karma" or "Darwin" or "Fate" - take your pick.

• Pologize3

I hope they took their time.

• Tom Adams

It sounds like he got what he deserved.

• Timulculin

I guess he should have stuck to poaching eggs.

• Don'tBotherMe

Don't those lions know that a 'suspected' poacher deserves Due Process?

• blondlara

How sweet was that story!! Poachers all deserve death and what better revenge than to be devoured by a lion! Of course trampling by an elephant, kicked to death by a giraffe or torn to shreds by a crocodile will all suffice as well!

• tj

Excellent! Chalk 1 up for the lions, while saving countless other wildlife in the process!

• Bartak

Oh if only this sort of thing happened with ALL poachers.

• Taya

When poaching lions is one's intent it is hardly surprising... nor sad... that the hunter falls prey himself. The real tragedy is that these lions will likely be destroyed for following their natures and eating a cold hearted human who literally put himself in the lions den. I can't feel much pity for anyone who knowingly crosses a stronger predator for no reason but profit or thrill only to be counted as a lost human life...

• disqus_VTtXsRxSgB

I'm all for jailing and punishing poachers, but the comments on this board are sickening.
    Folks - being mauled and killed by a lion is a horrific painful death - I wish this on nobody - even to those who have harmed me greatly in my own personal life.
    The poacher deserved a steep fine and hard jail time in an uncomfortable tough prison - he didn't deserve this.

• Momma Bear

Gotta love karma.

• Gargo-Rican

It be nice if consumed all hunters for sport too! That would be the icing on the cake!

• Brian 9876

So, obviously, lions prefer poached over fried.

• Pangaea 47

Poetic Justice

• Ray Caccioli

I have no problem with this

• tahoerover

YAY........

• Rubbed Sage

Good kitty!!

• brickmette

Yikes!
    But!, ...since the victim is said to have been a poacher, ....bon appetit!

• xThatxSamexDudex

I love happy endings.

• Ketra

I wonder what was more delicious the irony or the poacher

• David Hogg

The sad part is that they will probably have to hunt down and kill the Lions. Once they eat humans, they will attack others. Not that I feel a shred of pity for this one.

• disqus_fn5s2QCDp8

Times change ... this time around, the REAL Christians are rooting for the lions.

• Olorin

• Planet Earth

At least he died doing what he loved?

• Brooks Payne

I hope the lions didn't get indigestion.

• Loco

Best story I've read all day!

• EastCoastGirl

Good! I hope they kill and eat the rest of them! Leave our African wildlife alone!

• Cheyenne

Bon appetit!

• Brad Morgan

I'm confused. The headline and article speak of a male poacher who was killed by the lion(s) but the accompanying video is about a 29 year old American female conservation worker who was killed by a lioness she was photographing. Please explain to me.

• Furrmin The Cat

Hunting is starting to actually become a sport.

• Robert

Go Lions !

• carla everett

Karma.

• allison kirkpatric

Some rare good news, for a change!

• Dukedaddy

Chalk one up for the good guys.

• flacanefan

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Bet he won't try that again.

• Chris K

Karma was her name.

• Peppapeace

Karma.

• gs12

Cool.

• Prophet With Honor

It works for me, Justice swift and sure.

• A in Seattle

Man = 0
    Lions = 1

Go Lions!

• pfon71361

"Turnabout is fair play" --- English proverb from the mid-1700's.

• Lee Thompson

If lions killed the poacher and consumed his body, I'd say it's poetic justice. No loss.