Feb 12, 2018, 7:34 PM ET

Donald Trump Jr.'s wife taken to hospital after getting letter with white powder, police say

#

Donald Trump Jr.'s wife was taken to a hospital in New York City today after opening a package at her home that contained an unknown white powder, according to authorities.

Vanessa Trump, 40, was examined at New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center as a precaution, police said.

PHOTO: Jared Kushner arrives with Vanessa Trump on the West Front of the Capitol for the presidential inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017 in Washington.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images, FILE
Jared Kushner arrives with Vanessa Trump on the West Front of the Capitol for the presidential inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017 in Washington.

The suspicious letter was sent to Trump Jr.'s apartment in Manhattan this morning, police said. Emergency medical services, firefighters and police were called to the apartment just after 10 a.m. after Vanessa Trump opened the letter, police said.

The letter had a Boston postmark and was addressed Trump Jr., a source told ABC News. It contained a note indicating the sender was angry, said the source, who did not elaborate.

Vanessa Trump reported feeling dizzy after she opened the enveloped, according to law enforcement sources. The letter was not anti-President Donald Trump but addressed Trump Jr. directly, the source said.

Vanessa Trump and two other people at the apartment were decontaminated by firefighters at the scene before being taken to the hospital, according to police.

She thanked New York City firefighters, police and the Secret Service for their "quick response" in making sure she was safe.

Trump Jr. thanked first responders in a tweet for their "decisive action" and support.

"The substance was deemed to be nonhazardous and is being transported to a lab in New York City for further analysis," NYPD Assistant Commissioner J. Peter Donald said.

The U.S. Secret Service is also investigating, the NYPD said.

"The Secret Service and our law enforcement partners in New York City are investigating a suspicious package addressed to one of our protectees received today in New York, New York. This is an active investigation and we cannot comment any further," the Secret Service said in a statement.

PHOTO: Donald Trumps daughters-in-law Lara Yunaska and Vanessa Haydon sit with daughter Tiffany Trump before the start of the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Oct. 9, 2016.Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images/FILE
Donald Trump's daughters-in-law Lara Yunaska and Vanessa Haydon sit with daughter Tiffany Trump before the start of the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Oct. 9, 2016.

First daughter Ivanka Trump posted a message to Vanessa Trump, her sister-in-law, on Twitter, sending her well wishes.

"Thinking of @MrsVanessaTrump & wishing I was by her side today. No one deserves to be frightened this way. There is no excuse," Ivanka Trump's tweet reads.

News - Donald Trump Jr.'s wife taken to hospital after getting letter with white powder, police say

RRelated Posts

CComments

• NearFallPoints

Most other news agencies are saying what the letter actually said. I guess ABC leaves out that important piece of information. Could it be because it shows how unhinged the anti-Trump people are?

• mtntrek3

Knock it off idiot(s). We may disagree politically and otherwise, but we DON'T do this kind of s--t. ...

• Truthfully

Strange.....
    But didn't we already hear this story months ago??

• Siestasis42

You do not attack the family and certainly not this way. You dislike their politics then campaign against them, donate money to their opponents or run for office yourself but do not become a terrorist, it is not the American way. I hope they catch the person and they spend a long term locked up.

• GorillaMyDreams

I'm not a fan of these people, but it takes a special kind of coward to do something like this. I hope he or she is caught.

• b rubble

Did anyone notice that Donald is quick on attacking people on twitter if they hurt his ego but when supposedly someone threatened his families lives he doesn't tweet about it? Not even his generic go to "my prayers and thoughts are with you" that he uses for everything? Self absorbed sad sack of .....

• Dale

Please get the one or ones responsible for this ignorance! God's speed!

• Hank R

One would think that people would be concerned about this. Sadly, there are folks here who are glad about this. Pathetic.

• b rubble

Vanessa Trump reported feeling dizzy after she opened the enveloped, according to law enforcement sources. The letter was not anti-President Donald Trump but addressed Trump Jr. directly, the source said.
    What a joke. The trump's are blaming people that oppose Donald. For one it was a letter addressed do Jr., two there was no letter attached just white powder, and three Vanessa felt dizzy after she opened the envelope. IT WAS CORNSTRCH VANESSA! Give blondes a bad reputation Vanessa.
    Smells like a trump set up.

• adamrussell

From the article:
    "It contained a note indicating the sender was angry, said the source, who did not elaborate.
    The letter was not anti-President Donald Trump but addressed Trump Jr. directly, the source said."

So I see two possibilities:
    1. Someone mad at Trump Jr for past business dealings.
    2. Someone giving him a message that he better not talk to Mueller.

• Renate

I despise trump and his entire, bloated, nasty and disgusting family. I even despise the Republican Party and what they’ve become. I used to be a republican!

That being said, there is no excuse for anyone to do something like this to the family. I also think politicians’ underaged kids are off limits. If they open their mouths publicly, then all bets are off.

• Chuck

Watch, Look out, Danger!!!! There is a bad batch of Cornstarch out there that causes dizziness, and uncontrolled leaning to the RIGHT!!!

• Sejal

On this week's episode of the Trump show........

• TS13

"The letter had a Boston postmark"

Right there is where my suspicion was raised. Those disgusting liberals, of course they would do something like this.
    They hate us for our wealth and overt display of superiority.

• Joe

Who cares?

• Boxingwithangels

Ivanka: "No one deserves to be frightened this way". Huh??? America has been living on the edge of a cliff of fear and anxiety for the past year. I hope she suffered every moment thinking her life was over.

• Barry Freed

Yes, Bobby, cocaine does rhyme with propane. But that doesn't mean it's OK to put it in a song about propane.

• jboh

I despise this kind of action. I will note that while libs sent corn starch, cons burn down clinics, murder doctors, launch armed take-overs of small towns, and bomb federal office buildings. Not so funny anymore when your side gets hit.

• OkBluzMan79

Somebody needs to tell Vanessa that the white powder goes in the nose, not the eyes.

• CivilDialog

It absolutely amazes me at the evil comments some are making about this tragic event....It doesn't matter who is in the White House, this kind of attack is completely unacceptable! For those that support such terrible actions, you will have to answer for that...SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WHO THINK THAT COWARDLY ACT WAS IN ANY WAY JUSTIFIED!!!

• CaptnBlynd

People simply do not know right from wrong anymore. The ends justify the means. "I am going to dress in all black like dozens of other people so I cannot be identified, cover my face and go beat people I disagree with." "I will scream and disrupt to prevent those I oppose from being heard because it is my right and duty to stop their hate."

The hatred I see from those who oppose everything about our current President so far exceeds any hatred I have seen from any other group that it simply disgusts me. I often wonder, is that the point of some of these posts. To deliberately alienate me from liberals? That is the result.

• Dessert Eagle

False alarm, it was just Donnie Jr.'s cocaine delivery.

• Expert

Maybe there is one sole patriot left in this country

• Expert

Maybe its one of the many hundreds of people Trump has fired for no reason

• Expert

Maybe it was one of the many thousands of innocent people Trump has publicly degraded