ABC News – Breaking News, Latest News, Headlines & Videos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• mikies123

I felt these quotes from the article are significant.

Scientists now think people respond differently to vaccination based on
    their flu history. "Perhaps we recognize best the first flu we ever
    see," said NIH immunologist Adrian McDermott.

The idea is that your immune system is imprinted with that first strain
    and may not respond as well to a vaccine against another.

"The vision of the field is that ultimately if you get the really good
    universal flu vaccine, it's going to work best when you give it to a
    child," Fauci said.

The first two statements I think are referring to "priming" the immune system. If your immune system is primed with a flu vaccine lets say as a 6-month old child, what are the long term implications for a robust immune system needed for future immunologic challenges? I think that could setting up children who will be more vulnerable immunologically to not fair as well in the long term.

• Anthony Stanford

What's the point? Idiots will still not get vaccinated. Same people probably eating Tide Pods.

• Bokonon T Washington

When I was a child, I had elderly family members who had been children during the 1918 flu. They could clearly remember seeing wagons carrying the bodies of entire neighbor families away.

• shaun

I caught the 1957 Asian flu as a ten year old boy and l can still remember how sick l was. The work being done is fantastic. Also l fully recovered from the 1957 influenza pandemic and l will gladly donate my blood for research if it will help. Please contact me if you are interested.

• LewTwo

Protection dropped to 19 percent a few years ago ... this years vaccine is reported to be less than 10% effective

• john doe

As with all things - perspective in required. First is that mortality is as much if not more a result of access to healthcare than the virulence of a particular pathogen. People who recognize they are ill and seek treatment do much better than those who wait. Likewise it depends upon where you are. When we had the last Ebola outbreak in Africa - those who were infected and transported to Europe or the US had a much higher chance of survival than those treated locally given the superior medical facilities in the US and Europe.

Now understanding that. Today we can identify and track outbreaks much better and implement quarantine procedures - thus we should not see a repeat of 1918. As the global population grows = a much large potential reservoir for diseases to infect. As such it becomes paramount that mass vaccination be done to limit the number of carriers (herd immunity) while work on better vaccines progresses. Regardless of how some feel about vaccine science - there are millions alive today who would not be if it were not for vaccination programs. Viruses have coexisted with humans for millennia and are constantly learning how to defeat our immune systems. That means that we need all the edge we can get since the older you become - the higher the chances you will succumb to infectious diseases as some point. Graveyards are full of people who thought they could beat Mother Nature with some vitamins and chicken soup.

• Cherious

Until then the best remedy is enough sleep & rest, water and nutrition.

• Former Earthling

I've been taking a super shot for the flu for years. It's called tequila.

• Jakob Stagg

I see conflicting goals. Scientists want to create a lifetime immunity vaccine. Business want to create a new one that must be given every day.

• MGP

Hurry the F up!

• Jim O'Neill

Has anyone tried to use Phage therapy on the Flu?

• MickC

The strains in each year's flu shots, plus the occasional special shots like the one for Swine Flu some years ago, surely provide a wide range of protection if you get them for a decade or more since there have been three main strains in the shots and they vary each year.
    I taught high school, caught the flu the first two years and got the flu shot every year since. Those of us who got the shot each year tended to retire with around 200 unused sick days. Those who did not tended to have less than 50 unused sick days.
    How much that has to do with the flu itself I don't know: perhaps those who bothered to get the shot tended to take better care of themselves in general.
    All I can say is that for about 1/4 of a century of teaching, where teenagers frequently stuck their noses 6 inches from my face and said, "I feel sick!" and the heating system recirculated the air of over 3000 people, I haven't had the flu since the 1980's. In retirement I still get the shot!

• VOR

My grandmother lived and worked in Washington DC from 1917-1918 and I inherited a packet of letters that she wrote to her future husband. Here are a couple of snippets describing her experiences...hard to imagine.

“I must tell somebody what an awful time I’m having and I don’t dare write home so you’ll have to listen to my tale o’ woe.
    We’re having a dreadful scare here over this Spanish Influenza. Everything has been closed such as theatres and churches and all precautions have been taken yet more people are catching it every day and 44 deaths were reported yesterday."

October 7, 1918

“The deaths are running 50 and 60 a day and it’s positively gruesome the number of hearses one sees. Makes you think of the middle ages…”

October 14, 1918

• Stanley

Trump never gets the flu. Eat more cheese burgers.

• Ctrygrl

"We have to do better and by better, we mean a universal flu vaccine. A
    vaccine that is going to protect you against essentially all, or most,
    strains of flu,"

Wow, a worthy goal, but also a little scary with something that mutates practically constantly. And now of course an administration that plans to massively cut medical research. Guess they need something to kill off all those from the S---hole countries

• ianemdee

Many Americans refuse to take the flu vaccine. Often, these folks won't allow their kids to be vaccinated even against childhood killers. They also believe global warming is a hoax. Scientist and main stream media, they believe, are liberal tools.

When a repeat of (something like) the Spanish Flu does return, these folks (those who survive) will likely believe the pandemic was a liberal conspiracy.

The cure we most need is for irrational thinking and the social mechanisms that are fostering it.

• ShawnLetwin

Fascinating stuff in seeking cures for the things that can kill us...a lot of progress has been made.

Wish we could be as successful from keeping humans from killing other humans...now that would be progress!

• just saying

Eclipse.

• justmeanddog

As I understand this epidemic, the "immediate" cause of the high mortality was the Flu triggered a massive immune response that overwhelmed the body's ability to cope so in effect their own Immune system killed them.

• Andy

The Flu shot is nothing more than three Flu strains picked at random, and not very effective ,,the 1918 Flu pandemic killed 100 million people in a few months average age 21-29 and healthy ....Today's Flu tends to kill the sick and or elderly and children

• TexasVulcan

So far I have not had the flu since I have been getting the vaccine for many years. Am I just lucky? Maybe? But the flu shot is all we've got. For now.