ABC News – Breaking News, Latest News, Headlines & Videos

RRelated Posts

• kissatek

Seriously? Look, in this current age where every little word can be deemed offensive I cannot find one piece of information about the origins of this phrase. I don't agree with rioting, there are far more civil ways to protest and quite frankly I imagine even a white model would have provoked backlash. From concept, who on earth thought this to be an appropriate product?

• Gmh Gmh

Anyone else see incredible irony that they are protesting a shirt that compares them to animals by acting like animals? H&M had already pulled the ad and apologized, all this group did is make themselves look bad and make people sympathetic for H&M.

• Steve

Rioting and looting has the opposite effect of squashing racism. On the contrary, for those who share racist attitudes it reinforces perceived stereotypes and promotes racism. You cannot attribute the actions of small groups of individuals to an entire race however these reactions seem more common to one race than any other. And claiming that may be due to a higher occurrence of racial offense does not remove responsibility for the response to it. There's no question that the liberal media has fueled that "entitlement" to outrage as an appropriate reaction and should be held equally accountable as those who participate in these actions.

• SarcasTex

Honestly, I don't think there was any intent on making a racist statement, but it was definitely a foolish move and insensitive move on the part of H & M. Had they just used a white kid, they probably wouldn't have seen this much of a backlash. Then again, there's no telling what the reaction would have been once the shirt hit the shelves.

• helicohunter

This is what happens when a Swedish company comes up with a slogan and doesn't do any research before releasing it into other countries. Plenty of parents call their children "little monkeys", so they could have thought it was innocuous. They should have done their homework.

• Willie E. Drayton

I'm sure many here don't get it and never will. Just because the mother was ok with the blatant racism is irrelevant. The normalization of racism made this ad campaign and the vulgar statements of this country's current "president" fine in their eyes. It is not like South Africa is not recognized for it's history of racism just like America. And in response to the comment that if you look for racism, you'll find it. That is a very true statement but not for the reason the poster thinks. You'll find it because it is there.

• YellowParrott

I don't know what H & M was thinking?! Different sort of culture beliefs I guess??

• travis Dejesus

Much ado about nothing. If you constantly look for incidents of racism, anything and everything can be construed as racist.

• Chronic

This article doesn't tell or show the half of it. The stores were destroyed by the protestors. No excuse for that kind of vandalism, especially for a political party.

• Bradley Mcclain

The Mom approved it and had no problem with it. How come these people are offended when the people doing aren’t and there black. Lol

• 3 Wise Men

The company apologized and removed the ad before this "protest". So why were they protesting? Wanted some free shirts maybe.