Jan 12, 2018, 1:07 PM ET

Trump ignores controversy over 's---hole' remarks as he honors Martin Luther King Jr.

#

One day after President Donald Trump's reported remark about immigrants from Haiti and other "s---hole countries" reignited talk of whether he harbors racist beliefs, the president signed a proclamation honoring civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr.

Interested in Donald Trump?

Add Donald Trump as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Donald Trump news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Add Interest

Neither Trump nor other dignitaries who spoke at the ceremony officially proclaiming Jan. 15, 2018, as the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday addressed the controversy over the president's reported comments on Thursday.

Flanked by Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson -- the only African-American member of Trump's cabinet -- and Martin Luther King's nephew, Isaac Newton Ferris Jr., Trump spoke about the late civil rights leader.

"Dr. King's faith and his love for humanity led him and so many other heroes to courageously stand up for civil rights of African-Americans," said Trump. "Through his bravery and sacrifice, Dr. King opened the eyes and lifted the conscience of our nation. He stirred in the hearts of our people to recognize the dignity written in every human soul."

"Today, we celebrate Dr. King for standing up for the self-evident truth Americans hold so dear, that no matter what the color of our skin, or the place of our birth, we are all created equal by god," he added.

After the president spoke, Carson and Farris took turns at the podium and Trump signed the proclamation. He then exited the room, ignoring shouted questions from reporters about his controversial comments on Thursday and whether he is a racist.

News - Trump ignores controversy over 's---hole' remarks as he honors Martin Luther King Jr.

RRelated Posts

CComments

• GR

What a way to put aside partisan politics for just one second and celebrate the MLK legacy. Good job, media.

• Pat Baxter

People of color would be well advised to not buy into Trump's scheme of using them for "see, I'm not racist" photo ops.

• MauiOhana808

The irony of the whole event was that the honorable Dr. Martin Luther King himself would never stand with such a bigoted, racist, and hate filled person
    but his nephew did...................
    Aloha : O

• inonepeice

Americans hold so dear, that no matter what the color of our skin, or the place of our birth, we are all created equal by god," he added.

+++++++++++++++++++

I don't think that's what Trump meant when he said “Why are we having all these people from s__thole countries come here?” It doesn't sound to me like he thinks they are created equal at all.

• mikevietvet68/69

i'm surprised that only 55 comments on this story,trump is one of the worst politicians ever to hit d.c. ever,worse than nixon,agnew,or any politician in modern times....how those black men/women can stand up there with this low-life is beyond all comprehension.the thing is a hypocrite.

• LewTwo

Amazing that he was no booed off the stage. The secret surface must have screened all the attendees.

• Conscience_of_a_conservative

on some level trump loves the up-roar. he's made this a conversation, his base loves it and deep down he believes there is no such thing as bad publicity. the fact that this is a huge head-ache for the state dept and our relations with nations is something Trump never thought of or considers.

• Expert

Ben Carson the want-to-be white man, brown-eyeing the sub-human Trump, is an insult to all coloured Americans. I will never vote republican again.

• thinkmore

It's a sad irony that Trump is supposed to honor Rev. King. I apologize for the bigot in the White House. America still has some serious political and racial prejudice problems to work out. More than I thought. I am disgusted with Trump and the GOP.

• Rebecca Jackson

Trump is a racist. This cannot be said enough of times.

• Ctrygrl

In many ways his racist persona is just that a persona, there to satisfy the part of his base that agrees with him, but what he said yesterday was more elitist than racist. He truly is of the opinion that poor people are worthless and that most people of color are poor and certainly people from the nations that need protected status are poor and worthless and I think maybe that is even worse.

• NSAPEEPER6

That was very nice of President Trump. It shows his deep compassion for POC.

• Sejal

What did Trump contribute during the civil rights movement? Probably nothing.

• error_does not compute

Obviously he had no hand in writing that speech, it was too coherent.

• newz4i

This guy is a disgrace. He reflects on Dr. Kings Day? Common.

• anastasiabeaverhousen

"Today, we celebrate Dr. King for standing up for the self-evident truth Americans hold so dear, that no matter what the color of our skin, or the place of our birth, we are all created equal by god."

He made clear yesterday that he does not believe this, but rather that those from predominately dark-skinned nations have nothing of value to offer to the U.S., as opposed to those from Northern Europe (people like the Norway Shooter, presumably). It was as clear a statement of White Supremacist ideology as could be made.

• FlorMedDoc

Trump has turned the most respected, honored. position in the world to one not even worthy of a third world dictatorship

• Don'tBotherMe

How could I be a bigot when I had lunch with Martin Luther King just five years ago?
    -D. Trump

• Spoke

I missed the racist part of the comment. Which race was he referring to?

Calling a country a s-hole doesn't seem racist.

• oakgrovehobbitt

At least he realizes that democrats have no interest in governing, and their only platform is "resist Trump". He tries to sit down for a private meeting in good faith, and someone runs to the WaPo (of course) with gossip.

• Janie126

What a lying racist hypocrite.... it is just so disgusting we got this temporary pig in chief here.

• jake

Trump thought we were honoring Martin Luther. He was a white guy from Germany.