Jan 12, 2018, 11:21 AM ET

National parks free to all on Martin Luther King Jr. Day

#

On just four days in 2018, all National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee will offer free admission to everyone. And one of those days is coming up.

Interested in MLK?

Add MLK as an interest to stay up to date on the latest MLK news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
MLK
Add Interest

Jan. 15: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

April 21: First day of National Park Week

Sept. 22: National Public Lands Day

Nov. 11: Veterans Day

PHOTO: Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park is pictured in this undated stock photo.STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images
Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park is pictured in this undated stock photo.

The fee-free days "provide a great opportunity to visit a new place or an old favorite, especially one of the national parks that normally charge an entrance fee," according to the National Parks Service.

Of the 400 national parks in the United States, 118 charge a fee.

The others are free all the time. The waiver on fee-free days does not cover amenity or user fees for activities such as camping, boat launches, transportation, or special tours.

The four free days in 2018 marks a decrease in the number of such days from years past. There were 10 free days in 2017 and 16 in 2016.

News - National parks free to all on Martin Luther King Jr. Day

RRelated Posts

CComments

• YellowParrott

Ohhhhhhhh, that's wonderful!

• Orange McCarthy Slush

Dear Trump supporters: instead of being angry at MLK for helping black people get the right to vote, and not be lynched for going into a restaurant, maybe go visit one of these great parks while we still have them.

• Denese

Nice...Thanks

• bucket13

I agree with 3 of the four.
    Far more deserving people than king!

• bibleexpert

Oh happy day! People will be able to watch Trump's friends building oil wells with having to pay to watch.

• Blaize Rage

The article I saw on MSN was so busy slamming Trump that it did not say what Trump had signed regarding MLK.
    I have previously only heard about 2 free days in the National Parks. Any other Free days is not something I've heard advertising about.

• John Michael Davis

I wonder why all the free days are reduced?

• molimelight

Folks you better get in there if you want to experience their pristine natural beauty before they start drilling for oil or mining the land. And they'll be flooded with all of those immigrants from Norway that Trump wants to bring in.

• ruelph

If Martin Luther King Jr. was alive today, he would be marching against President Trump. The MLK proclamation by Trump was a dog and pony show by a racist bigot, who is the worst-ever president in U.S. history.

• Stonecrusher

DISCRIMINATION? Favoritism? Let's have a free day on a holiday commemorating a white celebrity.