RICHMOND, Va. — Jan 12, 2018, 10:33 AM ET

Outgoing Virginia governor says he'd deck Trump if provoked

#

Outgoing Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe told a national television audience he'd knock President Donald Trump to the floor if the president ever tried to intimidate him.

During an interview Thursday on MSNBC's "Hardball," Chris Matthews asked McAuliffe how he would respond if Trump tried to intimidate him during a debate by hovering over him, as he did during the 2016 presidential election with Hillary Clinton, a close friend of McAuliffe's.

"You'd have to pick him up off the floor," McAuliffe said.

When Matthews laughed and asked if he meant he would "deck" Trump, McAuliffe answered with a straight face.

"You want to get in my space ... you punch me, I'm going to punch you back twice as hard."

"But if he ever came over and leaned on me and got in my space, that would be the last time Donald Trump ever did that. I promise you that," he added.

McAuliffe, who was a top Democratic fundraiser before being elected governor in 2013, is set to leave office Saturday. He has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate.

McAuliffe has been a vocal critic of Trump, particularly after Trump said "both sides" shared blame after white nationalists and counterprotestors clashed during a deadly rally in Charlottesville in August.

During the "Hardball" interview, McAuliffe also called Trump "an embarrassment to our country."

News - Outgoing Virginia governor says he'd deck Trump if provoked

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Stuart Bennett

Did he just threaten the President of the United States? hmm Next up he's investigated by the Secret Service for making terrorist remarks toward the President. serve him right.

• MauiOhana808

donny's reign will end soon......................Thank you Special Prosecutor Mueller!!!!
    Aloha : D

• jims444

I'd personally give $1,000 just to see that.

• jeff B

Trump keeps reaching out to his 32% base of deplorable racist. Unfortunately for Trump 60% of the country now absolutely despises him. The GOP is going to suffer badly for continuing to embrace Trump.

• LewTwo

old bone spurs could never work up the courage to offend anyone face to face

• Dajibaski

Seems to be a terrorist.

• xThatxSamexDudex

Lead with violence, great!

• brickmette

Oh, my! . . Government has begun to devolve into fisticuffs.

• Martha Y

Hillary missed a golden opportunity. She should have asked for a show of hands of anyone who had been stalked or knew of someone who had. Then she would ask, "Does anyone see a stalker in this room now?" Then she should have "accidentally" backed up while still talking and "accidentally" spiked her heel into his toe. Hmmm....I wonder what Trump would have done?

• Joemash

Enough...the character 'Nicky Santoro' has been filled. You can all stop talking 'tough guy' and what YOU would do. The movie has been produced. Try another 'fake character'...try the 'Lion' in Alice...

• JDCreborn

Well that’s civil. Hope he gets crushed in the primary. The last thing we need is another hot headed moron in the Oval Office.

• thinkmore

I don't care if you deck Trump--might be better not to. Trump isn't worth going to jail for. But I would appreciate anything you could do to move along his impeachment.

• inspectorclouseu

Semper Fi, Gov! Why the GOP Primary candidates didn't have the cajones to slap the spray tan off our "Sociopath-in-Chief," on that stage is beyond me.

Forget about, "Little Marco! Geezes,, when the Orange Fraud insulted Cruz's wife and Ted stood there like a dolt, I half-hoped Mrs. Cruz would get up and walk out of the hall.

I imagine the wives of our hard-working Secret Service Executive Protection team must want to clean their partners suits with bleach after being in the company of the "slithering sloth of Mar o Largo."

Oh, and to the Nazi-lovin' Trump lovers, remember a staunch law and order conservative - NYPD Superintendent (Guiliani's) told an interviewer, "The trouble with Trump is that no one punched him in the mouth when he was a kid."

Damn proud of my Virginia governor.

• Mungo Strango

Maybe he would body slam him?

• Bob Buttamasangy

This clown couldn't knock the froth of a beer.

• OkBluzMan79

I'm a 56-year-old stroke survivor who's just one good fall away from spending the rest of his days in a nursing home sitting in a wheelchair, but I'll promise you one thing: if Donald Trump ever made the mistake of giving me any s**t within arms reach of my right side, I'd be headed to jail and he would wake up either on the floor or an ambulance stretcher wondering what happened to his teeth.

To quote the guy from the Men's Warehouse: "I guarantee it"!!!!

• OkBluzMan79

I'm a 56-year-old stroke survivor who's just one good fall away from spending the rest of his days in a nursing home sitting in a wheelchair, but I'll guarantee you one thing: if Donald Trump ever made the mistake of giving me any s**t within 3 feet of my right side, I'd be headed to jail and he would be sitting on the floor wondering what happened to his teeth.

To quote the guy from the Men's Warehouse: "I guarantee it"!!!!

• mikevietvet68/69

finally a politician with a pair....

• claude bonazzo

Adios baby...your cooked.....good-bye.

• Joe

Once again the video associated with this article has nothing to do with the article. This is why I temporarily stopped going to the ABC website (now officially reinstated) and have gone to the BBC America's one. Their site is so much better.

• Robert Smith

class

• Weather3014

Right after Terry just raises a hand toward the President, the Secret Service would intervene all over Terry. It would not be pretty.

• HelloDarkness

There were times during the primary debates that I thought Jeb! would let out a Ned Flanders-like shriek and start hitting Trump with his open palms.

• Bobby Edwards

This might be a good way to settle the next election tie, sure beats pulling a name from a hat, or a run-off.

• karla libera

Oh please do!!!!

• Maurice Vose

Why are all the Democrats so violent? Do they all belong to AntiFa? They threaten to punch the President and even have suggested killing him.

• theodrik

Let the Tweetstorm begin!

• Craig Cooper

here we go again,,,this is as bad as facebook,,, some sound like a bunch of 2nd graders arguing over who daddy is the better daddy. Only good thing about it, the entertainment is free....... grow up people

• Froot Loop Dingus

He doesn't have the testicles to punch anybody.

• Fred Lang, enlightened troll

Secret Service would knock 3 shades of cr@p out of you.

• VladimirPajari

Now Trumpy will send his SS boys and girls to visit McAuliffe, assuming they are not to busy getting drunk, or procuring hookers!

• wd65

Trump deserves it.

• Mikhail

I heard a new model of those rubber punching dummies is coming out, with the face of Donald!

• OneBitTwoBit

Not only hate filed and angry but apparently violent too.

• Noah

Id love to see this loser try and punch a president. I bet Trump would WIN that also!

• Suavacado

Not impressed. Put up or shut up clown.

• Noah

How unprofessional of this outgoing governor .

• sixstrings

Trump's a bombastic jerk who has no decorum and decency...Gov. McAuliffe would better serve himself not to try and emulate the bombast and lack of decorum.

• ImWhiteWolf

wow. ABC News must have a new censor. I've made it thru nine post today without getting one removed!!!!!!!!!!!!