ABC News – Breaking News, Latest News, Headlines & Videos

#

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Henry R

At what point does a politician with a debilitating illness step down and put the good of his state or district over his political career?

• Lee Thompson

I hope he beats this cancer. I'm concerned, in view of his recent hospitalization.

• CrashJackson

I keep hearing that people want to know why Al Franken hasn't stepped down yet. It's because despite the calls for him to do so the democrats actually want him to stay for the tax vote. Right now there are 48 democrats voting no and 52 republicans voting yes. If the dems lose one vote then the republicans can afford to lose 5 with McCain gone they could still have a 4 vote margin.

• BoS

Who's representing the interests of his state? Obviously the GOP does not need his vote which is god send because he would have penetrated that too.

• RedSoxPatriotsCelticsBruinsFan

well all we need is a couple republicans that are worried about losing their job in 2018.

• Ric M

Thoughts and prayers for McCain and his family.

• ShawnLetwin

Hope he pulls through...the health care he is receiving is an inspiration to all of us private citizens and a positive reflection of the state of health care in the US...wait, he doesn't have Obamacare. What is good for the goose isn't good for the gander-our alleged heroes and leaders in Washington.

• Kajsa Williams

Trump's probably crawling all over this family, trying to get McCain to come back to Washington before he's ready. Shut up, Trump. Chemo is hard.

Glad you're feeling better, Mr. McCain.

• MZTYPLCK

WE NEED TERM AND AGE LIMITS IN CONGRESS.!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND MENTAL CAPACITY TESTS TO WEED OUT ALL THESE DINOSAURS WITH DEMENTIA, ALZHEIMERS, BRAIN INJURIES, AND MENTAL ILLNESSES....

• MZTYPLCK

'Why doesn't McCain do the right thing and RESIGN!! Get a substitute appointed.

Same goes for the other incompetents in congress like John Lewis, Pelosi, Maxine Waters and remember Thurgood Marshall? And Gabbie Giffords? They served for years after they were obviously incapable of doing the job.

• blueberry

With all due respect to John McCain, perhaps it is time to retire. We have the oldest sitting Senate in history. It is way past time for term limits. We live longer than ever and it is not right to have folks in Washington for 40+ years. The corruption of power is too seductive.

• T.B. Downs

If I were McCain, I'd want to live my last Christmas at home, instead of disgracing myself voting to hurt Americans and appearing to support Trump.

• THEFred

That's a shame. We know how much multi-millionaire McCain wanted to take a break from his taxpayer-funded healthcare to take healthcare away from tens of millions of Americans!

• JBump

Democrats like lower taxes too. But this tax bill isn't the way. We spend too much on the military when we need a stronger alliance system among democratic, progressive nations. We need world governing principles with teeth and a vision of where we're headed that works with, while still regulating, business and new tech development. This tax plan is an exact contradiction of the principles the Republican Party has been - to it's credit - promoting for years.

• SpankyHamm

Didn't have a conversation with Trump last week, continuing treatment at home. Having been through something similar to this with my mother (the shut down in communication, wanting to go home), I fear the end is near for McCain.

I would not be surprised if he resigns in the next day or two and that he passes by the end of the year. That's just what cancer does.

• Pi_Boson

Interesting that this "reform" legislation may make professional and college football a thing of the past. With the NFL tax benefit gone, viewership will even further decline, and with it sponsors. College football players may become professional rugby participants.

• Pi_Boson

Just like the good people of Alabama took a bold step, we need a couple decent, caring US Senators to step-up for the American people as the tax "reform" legislation is a sham. Taking health care away to give to the rich. Talk about a redistribution of wealth!!! This "reform" legislation simply has working families pay for tax breaks on corporations that get huge break and nothing to show for it. The wealthiest are taking from the under-served, under-privileged, so they can control more of the wealth in this nation.

We need bold, dignified leadership in the US Senate to ensure this con, this tax "reform" sham is buried.

• Dukedaddy

Oh how I hope the Republicans come up short on this critical vote. That would made a Great Christmas Present for America!!

• Gary Scott

This is McCains way of protesting Trump's administration - Even on a legislation that he could and should vote for, he can now say I never supported that plan.
    Not to say that he isn't sick and needing to go to Az for rest, but.... I'm sure the record will show that in the past he has stuck it out when sick to get his vote cast.
    I imagine he will not live long enough to see many, if any, more votes. Only question is will he listen to those counseling him to step down, stop going to DC or will he keep attempting to work until he's carried out. I don't agree with his political mindset and especially now when there is now a question rising rapidly about his mental acuity and reasoning.

If anyone has ever watched the mental deterioration of a older person, they often reach a point where the natural, and logical, inhibitions are lost and comments and actions reflect an inner 'identity' that is the 'bad side' of that persons personality. A normal human refrains from insulting or speaking of things because it's not good, not productive. The mentally deteriorated mind has no such inhibitions and speaks things that the same person would never have said before their mind deteriorated. My wife's mother experienced that with a man she had known for years as a good and kind person. On her last visit, he made accusations and obscene lecherous comments that he would never have made when his mind was right. She stopped visiting him because the person she knew all those years was gone. She wanted to keep the memories of the real person.

So with politicians, who decides when they are no longer fit to serve, to vote, and to speak publicly as a politician. THAT is an issue that comes along every so often and should be addressed. (Before we talk about the electoral college)