Dec 16, 2017, 6:12 PM ET

Amid sexual misconduct claims, Rep. Kihuen says he won't seek re-election in 2018

#

Facing multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, Rep. Ruben Kihuen, D-Nev., has announced his decision not to seek re-election in 2018.

Interested in MeToo?

Add MeToo as an interest to stay up to date on the latest MeToo news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Add Interest

“The allegations that have surfaced would be a distraction from a fair and thorough discussion of the issues in a re-election campaign,” Kihuen said in a statement Saturday. “Therefore, it is in the best interests of my family and my constituents to complete my term in Congress and not seek re-election.”

On Friday the House Ethics committee announced its intention to launch an investigation into allegations made against Kihuen, who was elected to his first term last year. He has repeatedly denied allegations of sexual misconduct.

“I want to state clearly again that I deny the allegations in question. I am committed to fully cooperating with the House Ethics Committee, and I look forward to clearing my name,” he said.

In the statement, Kihuen, 37, said he will serve through the end of his term.

A former Kihuen campaign aide, known only as “Samantha,” told a midlevel aide at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee that she quit her job because then-candidate Kihuen made her “uncomfortable,” BuzzFeed reported. On Saturday, The Nevada Independent reported that a 24-year-old lobbyist said he “made unwanted overtures and asked overly personal questions of her this fall while his campaign was a client of her firm.”

Additional reporting by John Parkinson

News - Amid sexual misconduct claims, Rep. Kihuen says he won't seek re-election in 2018

RRelated Posts

CComments

• Matt Woods

There is probably something to it because he resigned and the tame dialog of the incident is most likely due to a deal that was brokered for his resignation. It is truly turning the Democrats weapon against them selves. Thump, thump, thump another ones bites the dust. How many more?

• ianemdee

We (Democrats) should expel sexual predators among us just as we expelled racists in the 1960's and beyond.

We can only hope the GOP will follow.

• Jakejr Ly

From now on I will stare at the ground and only look at people who talk to me directly. I don't want any women saying they felt uncomfortable around me. After they walk pass me I will turn around to look to make sure the woman is not following me.

• donnie vanderford

Where does this end. It has become more than a partisan political issue and is now a issue between men and women. That cannot be good for either. It seems that sexual advances if not welcomed are now sexual harassment and we have women who were once involved in consensual relationships now deciding that they are victims and the man a sexual predator. As it is the Christmas season i was listening to and enjoying the song " Baby, its cold out" before I realized that it is by todays standards sexual harassment . For those who are not familiar with the song a man is trying to get a woman to spend the night with him because it is cold outside. She tells him no time after time stating her reasons but he persists in his insistence that she spend the night.
    There is even a video version with some cute kids lip synching to the song. I guess that is teaching boys to sexually harass women and girls that it is ok.
    Maybe we have went too far.

• Pologize3

Ok, who's next?

• KudGya B Dumber

sounds like 'beyond a reasonable doubt'
    it definitely meets the 2017 version of the standard
    - guilty- you ruined her life, now she's ruined yours

• Samantha Stevens

Face it...the guy would not have resigned if he, himself, did not think there was any truth to the allegations. Men need to stop finding ways to normalize this behavior.

• netxtown

Alas, the ladies may well have taken this too far. As I understand, he is single, relatively young, and male. Of course, that alone doesn't give him any right to get rude and crude with anyone - but the 'courtship' process is fraught with rejection on many levels, and 'try and try again' is all that remains. If he crossed that line of decency, then expose him. But if this was a typical romantic inquiry - the lady doth protest too much. She needs to go.

• subtext9

Original source Buzzfeed provides more details of the allegations against unmarried "playboy" Rep. Kihuen, placing him much closer on the badness scale to Al Franken than to Trump, Clinton, Reagan, or JFK, i.e. he was apparently not "presidential" enough to avoid a "thrown under the bus" outcome.

• Rufus

Another seat up for grabs!

• will Russell

Uncomfortable? Wow if that is the new criteria, women are going to be in a pickle. I felt uncomfortable last week when I went to the credit union. The woman who waited on me was showing so much cleavage, you could have fallen in there. Why dress so suggestively?

• Ideology

I don't care what he did. He was accused and that is enough for me and enough to convict in a court of law.

• WR

Many claims seem viable, but not these. Someone felt 'uncomfortable'? 'Personal questions'? Maybe the man was interested in her. Did she say she wasn't interested? Doesn't sound like harassment to me and is making this a 'warlock hunt' and diminishing other claims.

• pfon71361

The #MeToo era has made it inevitable that more accusations against elected officials in Washington would surface. The fact that in some cases, years and even decades have passed does not lessen the pain these reprehensible and unwanted actions have caused the victims of sexual misconduct. The public apologies from those politicians engulfed so far have been perfunctory and less than completely sincere. These malefactors, in many instances, never really fully embraced the seriousness of the damage these unwanted actions have caused. At a certain point, as follow congressmen Rep. John Conyers Jr. and Sen. Al Franken discovered to their chagrin, the piper must be paid. Obviously, every new revelation of misconduct deepens the sense that all personal space should be considered inviolable and not subject to the whims of powerful or connected people.

• disqus_QoLR45HiFB

Bye.

• Eternal Tech
    "On Saturday, the Nevada Independent reported that a 24-year-old lobbyist says Kihuen “made unwanted overtures and asked overly personal questions of her this fall while his campaign was a client of her firm.”

Maybe he was romantically interested in her. Unless there is more that is not being reported, did he compel her to do something against her will? Did he remove his pants in front of her? Did she clearly inform him that his "unwanted overtures" were indeed unwanted? Is normal romantic interest from a man to a woman now considered wrong?